Reviews for Kastor Chronicles 1: The Forge of Dawn
SRC-SI chapter 12 . 7/27/2010
I have no idea why this story has so little reviews, because its definitely one of the best out there. I loved it, though i would have preferred if it didnt have to end so sad. You did really good work.
avivs chapter 12 . 6/11/2010
i really like the book, but i didn't LOVE IT. i felt that the love story wasn't strong enough, wasn't really deep. this story could have been amazing if the love between the two main characters had felt real.

i also felt that all the other characters started off strong, but by the middle of the book they all began to feel flat, with not enough depth.

also, i think that the plot really needs more "meat". it all felt almost too simple, and after reading THE GOD EATERS i know what the author is capable of.

keep up the good work! this story has so much potential.

aviv.
Hollyivy chapter 12 . 11/19/2009
is there a sequel?
Hollyivy chapter 11 . 11/19/2009
argh. i need a freaking dictionary to keep up with this. *sulk* feeling a little un-knowledgeable.
Hollyivy chapter 10 . 11/19/2009
wow! i was a little leery about this fic, but it actually seems to be one of your best! kastor's adorable, though the beard does throw me off a bit.
all hail the cheeze chapter 6 . 10/20/2009
er... you might want to check chap 6...there are...weird symbols all over the page.

like: ÒThatÕs the wrong way.Ó
tarryfairy chapter 12 . 10/18/2009
Ok. I didn't cry. I'm glad Kastor could have the acceptance Mikah wanted him to. I hope Mikah had found acceptance too. No regrets, and all.

This was a really good story. Not perfect, but damn good. A few measly critiques: what I imagined to be your voice kept popping up every now and then in everyone's POVs, and it was a bit confusing at times. Not the plot stuff, but the emotions stuff. How Kastor and Mikah felt about each other before their conversation and making up, it was a bit umm...perplexing? And difficult to follow? But I guess it was supposed to be that way, though.

I really enjoyed this, though, even though self-sacrificing anti-heroes aren't usually my cup of tea. I generally prefer people to come out alive, but this was written in a way that left even me, hard-core fluff and bunnies girl, satisfied. Nice use of dramatic irony, btw.

Just to reiterate, I love Mikah. I'm probably going to hell for saying this, but he reminds me of Jesus. You know, the literary icon of sacrifice to save loved ones and the rest of the world. But maybe I'm stretching it. Anyways, I'll definitely be reading the rest of the series and all of your other writing for that matter. Expect a lot more long-winded comments and fangirl squeals from me as soon as I have time!
tarryfairy chapter 10 . 10/18/2009
This chapter is gorgeous. The underlying sadness just makes it even more beautiful. This story is going to make me cry, isn't it? Usually I regret reading sad stuff by the end of it, but I have a feeling this will be too good for that.
tarryfairy chapter 3 . 10/17/2009
Well, crap. Now I love Tanner too. And I guess I have to admit I absolutely adore Mikah. Are there any characters I'm going to feel ambivalent towards in this story, or at least dislike?
tarryfairy chapter 2 . 10/17/2009
Um, I would try to list my favorite parts of this chapter, but I think that would just end up in me putting the whole thing in quotation marks and copying and pasting it on here. I remain firm in my belief that Mikah is annoying as hell, but now I've spotted another dimension to his character: he's hilarious. So silly. So...hard to know. So sad to watch him leave (well, for me anyways).

Oh but, really Magda? Speculating on the substance of clouds? That's the subject change you came up with? I knew I loved her.

Kastor's personality is giving me whiplash. I can hardly keep of track of where it's going to land next.

Ooh, excitement :) Very interesting fear-monster-ape-thing. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this, but I think I'll just review at the end or sporadically, instead of interrupting my reading to make a bunch of comments.
tarryfairy chapter 1 . 10/17/2009
Oh my gawd. Warrior-nuns. Drawing dragons and bees. Klepto immortals. "Something in the nature of a eunuch". And so much awkwardness (and obvious angst) on Kastor's part! I love him already :) And I'm a bit in love with Madgda as well. And hot damn. Kastor's sexy when he gets his dander up. Mikah, however, is unbelievably annoying. Also, I'm afraid Kastor seemed so different from the first part, in his POV, to the second. But maybe that's just the difference between what is really going on and the masks everyone wears.

I believe this is the first thing of yours I've read, which seems a bit absurd, since I've been seeing your name all over the favorite lists of the slashy-sort of denizens of FP. I'm enjoying your work already. Also, I may or may not be one of those annoying types that leaves a review for every chapter. We shall see.
Vera Dicere chapter 12 . 8/12/2009
you have a talent for writing stories that i absolutely love. and that get me quite involved, usually to the point of exclusion of most other things i should be doing instead of reading. but it is an ivolvement i welcome and enjoy. i just get so emotionally caught up in these stories sometimes. kastor and mikah...ah, tragic love. i admit, i was continually hoping for mikah to somehow evade the necessity of his sacrifice, or to magically reappear in kastor's life at some late stage. but i think i love the story a little more for the fact that you did not give into such a trite cliche. kastor and mikah were each wholly committed to doing what had to be done, even knowing that they would be separated by it, and the fact that there wasn't some magical band-aid to slap over that wound was refreshing.

now. i think i'm off to begin the second arc. :)
ealuscerwen chapter 12 . 7/31/2009
Thank you. This gave me nightmares. Once again I am scandalised by how under-reviewed your work is, considering that it's head and shoulders above 99.9% of the tosh on this site. Mikah was especially fantastic-damn you. Its greatest weakness, compared to what I've read of your other work, was that the ensemble cast never really fleshed out completely. In the second half it got more into the swing of things with Mikah and Kastor, but I never really had more than a superficial understand or attachment to Magda and the rest. You get about the standard pulp fantasy level of appreciation for them, I mean, but it stands out just because you can be incredibly good at creating complex, interesting characters otherwise. I reckon the difference is that in this particular work most of your characters are with each other at the same time, so some are inevitably eclipsed? Anyway. Good read though all-around. Cheers.
Penname-Kitsune-chan chapter 12 . 6/6/2009
Loved this! I like how you portrayed Kastor's grief realistically, without falling into cliche or drama like most do - ya, sure, the normal way of writting grief is realistic, but it's been done so often I tend to just skip those parts of stories.

Mikah was by far my favorite character, and I'm really sad he had to die. Conversly, I'm also glad that this didn't turn into a 'take the third option' thing, where it suddenly turned out that despite all that drama Mikah's sacrifice wasn't needed in the end.

Well, keep up the good work! And I'm off to go read the sequel to this.
Ren chapter 12 . 4/7/2009
I love this. Many parts of it remind me of old history, of lost poetry, of ancient mythology. It is enriching to learn to love the characters. Their friendships and relationships are all the more interesting and lasting, a deep part of who they are and how they create the story.

I also love the hidden history in this story. The Kyri remind me of the Skaldi of Kushiel's Dart, of old Europe's hunters. The different religions and beings are absolutely fascinating. I would love to know more about Math's valley of sanctuary, how he hid from the world, what beings have passed through there. The Mara bloodlines, the Angel-Mara-Demon trinity, the mix of science and magic - I love it all.

Amazing job.