Reviews for Dusk
The Whippoorwill chapter 1 . 12/28/2010
I really like this piece. It feels familiar. It's a calm read, but there is a sense of urgency and tension. It's very well written :)
in theory chapter 1 . 8/25/2009
Right then.

This one I was lost in. The opening, "Pardon the interruption" is captivating, it got my attention even though you're not even talking to the reader. It's the written equivalent of clearing your throat before something important.

The whole tone of this is very mellow, and at the same time dramatic. A juxtaposition of two completely different emotions in a piece without being disjointed, it's very well carried off.

Favourite line was "I could not move to light the room" as if you are paralysed with waiting for this person to even notice you, afraid that if you moved the gloom would lessen your own features (to them). The imagery is clear but not obvious, again another conflicting idea in my head as I read this but it works.

Great job, it feels like a conversation I'll remember in detail rather than a piece of literature that I'll forget the specifics of when I read something else.

Jack