Reviews for tales of synonymous
lymli chapter 1 . 8/4/2009
that's true, this is funny.
Isca chapter 5 . 8/3/2009
The word 'disappointment' contains such power - disappointing someone is often very emotionally traumatic - they say that verbal abuse is often much worse than physical abuse. I liked all of the pain in this piece - it was very vivid and relatable. I know it's up to you, but if you continue with this piece, I'll be sure to review it. :)
Isca chapter 4 . 8/3/2009
"Sun. Rises?" I liked this part the best - you captured time here perfectly. The summer imagery throughout the piece was so warm and cheerful.
ArekuKawaii chapter 2 . 7/31/2009
Word Choice: Since this is about word choice this seems a good place to start. I liked the frist two words 'thoughtful. contemplative.' because the speaker could be thoughtful towards someone while they contemplate how to do it, or contemplate if they want to be thoughtful. I like that the last word is absorbed because it seemed as thought the speaker was absorbed into the poem.

Tone: The speaker is using their mind to think and relax making me think they have something they must do, but they must do it in an orderly fashion. This poem seems rather relaxed after the word meditative because the rest of the words seemed to just flow out as if the speaker was in a trance. (I hope that makes sense to you, because it makes sense to me.)

Punctuation: I did like the punctuation after every word because it makes them seperate and their own thought. However, it also makes the poem a little choppy in my opinion because as the reader, I have to stop to take a breath after each word.

Enjoyment: I did like this poem because it was thought provocking. It was interesting in the fact that the words were similar but could be so different. It made me think of time to relax and see what is around me, while also getting things done is important.

Overall this was very well done. :)
B. J. Winters chapter 3 . 7/7/2009
Hum. This one left me a bit confused. Days, bags and moment - that didn't work for me.

The italics and question marks left me with an unfinished feeling.

- that was cute. That left an interesting summer like picture. at the same time I don't bake burgers. bathing might have been a better image.

I enjoyed this set of poems. Hope to read more of yours soon.
B. J. Winters chapter 2 . 7/7/2009
I got stuck on split and kaleidescope because I wasn't sure they were true opposites (visualizing shards of glass). I hadn't heard the term Kaleidescope to be similar to melting pot. I can sort of see it but the image isn't meaningful to me.

I think this could have been very affective with the -ous or even the 's' theme carried through so that the words sounded more alike.
B. J. Winters chapter 1 . 7/7/2009
I haven't seen anything quite like this. The side by side comparison and careful selection of the words that as supposed to be alike - but obviously create very different images was clever.

I like how you start with the harmless and yet universal "thoughtful" and end with the negative "absorbed". The poem seems to build on itself and make a point. I also like that you didn't belabor the point - using just enough examples.

Very nice
Isca chapter 1 . 6/27/2009
WORD CHOICE: I just love your use of the word 'poppycock.' It's wonderful in its own right, but it reminds me of the word 'balderdash,' and that just makes me very happy. On a random note, the word 'pensive' reminded me of the Harry Potter series, but that's neither here nor there. I did, however, like your use of that word, as 'pensive' reminds me of the Latin word 'pensare,' which means 'to weigh.' So, in that regard, the speaker suggests that people do not really weigh their options in life-they're too spontaneous and whimsical.

FORM: The form of this poem is both unique and interesting. I like that you didn't capitalize anything-as if that would 'soften' the strength/power of the words. The period after each word is quite effective-allowing the reader to pause and really think about the meaning behind each word. The dash before the word 'poppycock' also suggests that this was supposed to sort of resemble a dictionary 'definition.' That's pretty cool and creative.

TONE: I also couldn't help but love the tone of the word 'poppycock.' I can just imagine the speaker saying, "Oh, that's rubbish!" The tone of the word 'brooding' is both powerful and striking. It suggests, perhaps, that the speaker intended the word to mean 'depressed' rather than 'meditative.' That adds a nice twist to the main message by suggesting that underneath our stoic exterior, we're really all just fragile beings.

SUBJECT: I also love the fact that the speaker isn't afraid to tell the world that she thinks everyone has lost their sense of humility. She doesn't try to 'butter up' the world around her; on the contrary, she sees the world exactly as it is. She knows that 'thoughtful' people do not exist in a world where humans have been taught to 'survive' and 'compete.'

(The Review Game - Poems - Depth)
Nicki BluIs chapter 1 . 6/25/2009
Thank you for spreading the review love in RM! Here's your reward!

I like the concept behind these poems. It reminds me of word asociations. It also highlight how so-called synonyms have very different connotations. All the words seemed somewhat positive until you reached "poppycock." Putting it on a single line brought special attention to the shift.

I didn't like the addition of the a/n at the end. I didnt think it was necessary to explain. Especially with such a loose poem sometimes it's best to leave things to interpretation.

Review Squader Bubbles
lookingwest chapter 1 . 5/3/2009
Something I liked about this poem, it had a cool format because each word was very staccato and it was all in one little block which gave it almost a "authoritarian" air, and then at the end, away from the big authoritative block stands the word "poppycock" which was just hilarious.

I also liked your word choice because words like "pensive" are not used everyday, it was very imaginative and stretched the imagination in a way that is hard to do with only straight forward words. Not to mention it had a nice message embedded in the words too.
trash cans unite chapter 3 . 4/30/2009
konban wa

The "boycott. breakfast" part sort of confused me. Would you explain that part? Aside from that, I did not really understand the connection between all those pieces until the last word: moments. Then it all sort of fell into place, clicked so nicely together; so I had to go back and read it again, of course, in order to get the full effect of the poem. Just the fact that each one of these scenes was different from the rest... only a flash of a scene... just - as you so beautifully put it - mere "moments." The fact that they had little connection is what connected them so firmly in my mind with that single word. Kudos, this is quite a collection of poems you have here. I hope you add more sometime soon.

trash cans unite chapter 2 . 4/30/2009
konban wa

This is quite possibly the most accurate I have ever seen a human being described. As my teacher once put it, "You have to respect the 'human condition.'" You explained it so well by explaining how we are inexplicible. We can be the same and different, alone but together, consistent and not - not only sometimes but all of that can happen at the SAME time. A contradiction wrapped up inside itself. That is, in its essence, the human condition.

trash cans unite chapter 1 . 4/30/2009
konban wa

Hm, I'm glad you explained yourself at the bottom because I don't think I would have understood otherwise. I think I'm getting the hang of it now, of your seemingly random thoughts and how they connect together. Okay, let's see if I can get the next two on my own.

-Shan-

P.S. Hold it, that was rude. I didn't actually comment on the poem itself. Okay, here are my thoughts: I agree... to an extent. I think to find the truth if someone is REALLY selfish or not, you need to look at what they do when they think nobody is watching. Cliche... but so true.

At the same time, sometimes I wonder if it matters. I myself am selfish, which bothers me quite a bit because I hate the idea of being self-absorbed. When I realized a few years ago how selfish I really was, I got very involved in volunteer work and helping people and trying to always be cheerful and kind to other people I know (and don't know). I got myself even down to the nitty-gritty things, like holding a door open for a stranger. Things that are often automatic, done without thinking (if they are done at all). I got to the point where I, too, do them automatically now.

I would hate to think that people would judge me on my thoughts and not on my actions. I may be selfish... but the fact that I care enough to try to change that, to ACT unselfish should still change a bit.

Of course, there is also a difference between changing because you don't want to be selfish and doing nice things so people will PERCEIVE you as nice. I don't try to lie to people about it. I don't pretend to be something I'm not. I simply try to change myself so that I am no longer that person. I think - or hope at the very least - that should make it different. *shrug* It would be nice, anyway.

I will try my best to come back t the other poems tonight. I have to go study now, but I really do want to continue on. So hopefully you will hear from me again.
faerie-gumdrops chapter 2 . 3/3/2009
eek these are so smart! And I love the idea of all the synonyms. Kaleidoscope is pretty. And they are fun. For a few seconds. My Mum always used to give me one for Christmas when I was a little kid and I used to look through them and go all drreamy.

Hehe.

Anways, I love! And you're right about people being a million different things. It's so confusing sometimes when people say things but mean the opposite, and I'm so stupid and paranoid that my brain actually *aches*.

Anyhoo.

Poetry-love!
faerie-gumdrops chapter 1 . 3/3/2009
Hey! As I'm sure I said time ago, I completely suck at reviewing poetry because I am not brainy/creative enough to really understand it, but I'll try my best :)

I really like this poem and how it's so simply structured and kind of open for interpretation. I think the half-rhymes (Is that what they're called? I am an ignorant twit) at the end of each line. Also, I like how thoughtful kind of goes on a journey to absorbed - is that to do with the meaning or am I reading too much into things? :b Anyway nice contrast.

And if the word poppycock was a man, I would ask it to marry me and have little dictionary babies.