Reviews for Ode to Prompts
no.peace.los.angeles chapter 2 . 3/21/2010
Oh, man, that was great. :D The narrator's voice was just so real and it was like I was talking to someone. Seriously hilarious and just fantastic. Keep writing! :)
no.peace.los.angeles chapter 1 . 2/13/2010
Wow. Powerful piece. I like the end - you just get this hanging feeling of dread, and it's great. Lovely work. Keep writing! :)
Eternal Skies chapter 8 . 2/10/2010
i really liked the ending. didn't see that comming

it's true. it's really hard to really be yourself or be frank about something because the thought of getting laughed at and scrutinized comes up. it's hard living in a society of ideal images that you need to satisfy...
sophiesix chapter 8 . 2/10/2010
I love teh gentleness of teh piece, how it flowed effortless whilst still brilliantly evoking teh awkwardness and tenderness of teh scene. just lovely.
in theory chapter 8 . 2/9/2010
Interesting and unexpected twist, nice job :)

Jack
Isca chapter 8 . 2/7/2010
"The tiny studio. It was a gray thing, small and forgettable and nestled." I really liked this description of the ballet studio; it's not delicate or beautiful, as would be normally associated with ballet, but it's raw somehow - fragile, almost.

WOAH. The "momma" ending was entirely unexpected, and thus, completely brilliant (especially after Ethan's own mortification). Excellent ending! Good luck in the WCC this month. :)
Sercus Kaynine chapter 8 . 2/6/2010
Awesome ironic view of the prompt! The interaction was very sweet between Ethan and Hannah, and it was so sweet when both of them ended up with heartwarming secrets. Cute idea. :)

Good job and good luck in WCC!
no.peace.los.angeles chapter 8 . 2/6/2010
Ooh, I liked that twist at the end. Definitely was not expecting that. I do think the last sentence itself is kinda awkward (I would have done without the semi-colon and just said "vanishing into the rain," but that's just me), but aside from that, a very nice story. And it fits with the prompt really nicely! Good luck in the WCC and keep writing! :)
lookingwest chapter 8 . 2/6/2010
Wow, nice surprise ending, I thought that was really creative. I think you handled the character's dialogue well, it was really believable. Also, I like how you gave us this small scene that said so much concerning stereotypes, ect. And again, nice twist.
Faithless Juliet chapter 8 . 2/5/2010
Wow, did not expect that ending...

For such a short piece you did a really good job with this. I could see and understand Hannah clearly, and I loved what you did with Ethan. A lot of male dancers have that problem in regards to the rest of the world knowing that they dance. It's an automatic association to be gay, even though many male dancers are not...

The ending was a real twist, I didn't see that one coming at all, and I like the overall message that it sends - people are not what they seem, there's always something more deeper than the surface. Great job.

Much love,

Juliet.
sunstruck chapter 7 . 8/3/2009
I love how I feel like I really understand all the characters even though the chapter isn't even that long. All those little observations ("He failed physics last year. He had a sister who always called him. He wrote reminders on his hands a lot.") tell a lot about them, without being too obvious or straightforward. The dialogue in paragraphs 7 & 8 is a little confusing, though, but it's not a big deal.

The message of the story is so true, and you expressed it very uniquely by showing Karla vs. everyone else. I wish I could write such interesting characters, haha. Great work!
Mistval chapter 7 . 7/24/2009
Hi :)

That was definitely one of the more enjoyable chapters I've read on this site!

Karla is a very interesting character because of how much you make her stand out (in that she's so observant where others are completely ignorant). Her dry commentaries also added both physical depth to the story's universe and emotional depth to herself. Excellent character overall (at least in this chapter) and excellent use of her personality to deepen the story.

What I'd recommend against is using parentheses the way you do. It almost works, but not quite. Most of the things that you set off in parentheses could easily be integrated into the sentence proper.

You do use them well in several places though, like when you described the reminders that he wrote on his hands. It's fine to add extraneous information using parentheses that would be hard to integrate otherwise (and is presented as a sort of afterthought, like what's in these parentheses ]), but when it could easily be part of the main sentence there's no reason.

Good luck with your story! I'll definitely be reading the first chapter soon and probably the rest as well.

Sakina the Fallen Angel chapter 7 . 7/24/2009
I liked how the observant feel to the piece was portrayed through various facts about the people in this one-shot, and I also liked the little bit at the end, which I think hints at Karla's attraction to Eric. The fact that it's in italics makes it seem all the more of a throwaway comment.

Sakina x
Counting Petals chapter 7 . 7/21/2009
I like how observant you made Karla, especially since it contrasts so well with the other people we see in this. She sees so much more than they realize, and they don't even notice her at all. Definitely something I can relate to.

Awesome job!

-Othello
Isca chapter 7 . 7/10/2009
"There was so much of it." Wow. What a powerful line. Indeed, there is much 'gray' in this world. Yet, I like certain shades of gray, and so, where others see 'mediocrity' and 'drabness,' I see brilliant gray fog and wisdom.

Whoa! The 'abusive neighbour' part kicked me in the chest. It was so unexpected. Excellent twist. The jerk has the audacity to wear the belt out in public! That's too much! (I liked this part, obviously :D).

"She'd been sitting here for months." LOL. I love that Karla doesn't give a darn about time. She'll sit around until her mind clears up. She's a pretty cool/unique character.

P.S. The 'raspberry' you flew in my direction made me crumple into a pile of giggles. Danke. ;)
57 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »