Reviews for The Day the Language Died
Owl-of-Artemis chapter 1 . 3/12/2013
Ha I liked this. Idiocracy in play as we speak, eh? I feel this exact way every time my niece texts me, or updated her Facebook. "Dam, this teacher stoopid."

...*dies*...
UlekanStoryteller chapter 1 . 2/13/2009
You had me laughing through the end. I have to admit that I am not quite that cynical, though it is mostly because I refuse to talk to people online who use text talk (or txt tlk, as it were). Still, it is a funny, societally relevant work.

There's not much narrative in there, though I see that more as a function of the story's point and conveyance than any sort of detriment. So that really leaves my only complaint being that I don't really understand what was supposed to be going on with the girl's makeup at the beginning. Maybe if you ever go back to it you could clarify that small bit.

All in all, a fun and enjoyable piece of work that's really (in my mind) the perfect length. I also admire your resolve to actually type that much in text talk. I think I'd sooner throw myself off a bridge. o.O
Deepsouth chapter 1 . 1/24/2009
Good story! Well written, a nice twist or two or three, and kept me laughing all the way.

And lord knows, it sounds like a pretty accurate prediction to me!

(Did I mention it kept me laughing?)
Shoob chapter 1 . 1/24/2009
Wonderful bit of satire. Or maybe frustration would be more accurate. You aren't the only one that fears the eventual demise of the English language, but this is an interesting prophecy of doom for the future. I think I have an idea of how painful writing like that was; it hurt to read the girl's dialogue!

Nice work.
Seducing Reason chapter 1 . 1/23/2009
This story was absolutely perfect. I kept laughing over and over again. The sad truth is, it's a little too close to home. That's why I refuse to get 'texting', and why I never buy a magazine. And why I don't have cable. And why I don't listen to radio stations on FM... Yikes. This really is a problem, isn't it? Do you think they'll be teaching make-up application to elementary students soon?

Anyway, before I become depressed with this train of thought, I'd like you to know that this is the first well-written (Ironic, no?) story I have read in quite some time. I'm so stunned by it, in fact, it has the honor of being my first favorite on my shiny new profile.

Bravo.