Reviews for Cartography
Guest chapter 3 . 3/22/2016
Wow, I really loved your story. Keep up the good work!
The Green Eye chapter 3 . 11/15/2012
I like this story, it's different!
No name chapter 3 . 9/26/2012
Ur really talented! Very well done
Tukki chapter 3 . 4/21/2012
A great story! It was refreshingly different, and I loved the cultural setting. It's always great when a different view of world is portrayed throughout a story, without any excessive lecturing, a natural part of the storytelling and characters. The ending came as a surprise, in the sense that I'd have wished to read a lot more about all the characters. Thank you:)
Catherine Julia Jefferson chapter 3 . 7/20/2010
Hi, I read your entire story. :) It was lovely, truly. I loved the depth and complexity of the characters. Your writing is beautiful. I think my favorite line was:

"Quite naïve of me, but if no one trusted each other, the world would stop moving."

Thanks for writing/posting such a wonderful piece.
plsdeletethislmao chapter 1 . 6/28/2010
I know I have reviewed before, but I just want to expand on what I said. (Which was very little by the way,) anyways, I thought that:

-I loved Aleksander's and Myakishev's relationship. I have to be honest that at first I was expecting a romance, but what I got was so much better.

-I definitely learned a lot by reading this story. Like, I didn't know that Russian men sometimes kissed each other in fits of passion... That was definitely new to me.

-I liked how from the very first sentences, I was drawn in by your writing style. It was just great, and you did a great job of just totally drawing my attention.

-Your story absorbed me, I was up until 5 A.M reading it! (And other various things.)

-It was almost as though, when I was reading your story, I was in just a haze of story and reading. I was just so absorbed in your story that it felt like I was right beside Aleksandr and everyone, experiencing what they were experiencing. I could almost see everything happening in my head!

-I loved the way that you described things. It wasn't too overdone with your descriptions that it bored me; it was just right. It painted a picture in my head of the events happening from start to finish.

-I have to admit, the abrubt ending was... to be captian obvious: very abrubt. It kind of was like... I was expecting something more to end your story. However, you made it work. Like I said, when reading your story, it was like being in a haze of story and reading. Like there was just a spell placed over me while I was reading. So I was in this haze of reading and story until Aleksandr said: "Nothing. It was nothing." And suddenly, the spell is broken.

To end this review I must say: you are a wonderful writer and I would personally love to see more of these characters. I would also just love to see more of your writing. Anyways, keep writing and improving and developing your style; it is already wonderful!

Love,

Zucheene
aurora borealis chapter 3 . 4/2/2010
A very fascinating story. It's refreshing to read something that *isn't* America- or West Europe-orientated (although I find it refreshing with stories obviously situated in Britain as well).

I love the characters. You write really well. I wish the story didn't stop so abruptly, though.

It's also fascinating that they can kiss each other in a fit of passion, but at the same time be extremely homophobic. But I guess it was part of the times, as well. Who wasn't homophobic fifty (or thirty) years ago?
LookingGlassGirl chapter 3 . 3/29/2010
Originally I thought Reznik disliked Myakishev because of how much Sasha admired him. That's what first pulled me into the story.

I thought it would be interesting to see an older man faced with the harsh ordeal of losing a friend he held as dear as a son to another "father figure". I definately recomend you write that kind of story.

I knew from the first chapter you were a great writer. At the end of part three it had me feeling that, even though the story was over, these people would still live on.
LookingGlassGirl chapter 1 . 3/28/2010
The way you wrote Aleksandr's reaction of meeting Anreyevich is a perfect example of how men react to each other in movies based in this time. You're able to capture a person's feelings without being generic or to obvious. Honestly, your work should be published.
A Very Impressed Anon chapter 3 . 12/20/2009
Hi, I read your entire story. And it kept me up until 3am!

To be honest, I read it (based on the summary) of finding a nice gay romance fic. What I got was much, much better.

I think stories like this are so often over-looked because of the lack of (as you describe) angst, sex, blood and see-through tights.

Your characters are so real and believable, and I found myself reading the whole thing in a Russian accent. The relationships you build for them are wonderful, and your narration is fantastic - giving enough detail, but not so much that the plot is overwhelmed. It is still very obviously the voice of a confused 19 year-old, regardless of historical period. Your characters, although not all entirely likeable, are sympathetic.

The paranoia you evoke is - not 'lovely', that's the wrong word! - but it's so subtle, yet so ubiquitous it's almost more creepy than if it was obvious at every turn, with peering, curious eyes everywhere, so that's there's a palpable relief at the end where Polina makes Sasha aware of what an idiot he is.

My only criticism is... I want to know more about Lyova! I really hope that You'll write more of these characters in this universe!
sophiesix chapter 1 . 11/6/2009
It sounded wonderfully Russian to me, just like Turgenev or someting: truly wonderful! I love you've created your characters, and the mix of gentleness and more sinister atmosphere. Thanks for a great read!
strawberry buttercup chapter 3 . 8/12/2009
"hi, i read your entire story". and i liked it. the pace of the story is unusual, slow, progressive, i can't decide? but it's not a bad thing, it's simply different, and for that it's brilliant. interesting subject matter too, always a bonus to read soemthing real and completly out of one's usual cultural bubble. thanks for a great read.
plsdeletethislmao chapter 3 . 7/19/2009
Great story! Loved it, it was awesome, the writing style, the characters, and the plot. Well I guess the part where you wrote "I think I will write a prequel in which Captain Antosha and Vikta wrestle naked on that private little beach where they crash landed their plane," just made me start laughing but all in all, it was great. Keep it up!
persimmon chapter 3 . 4/16/2009
So here goes...

Hi, I read your entire story.

And it was a-fucking-mazing!

Wow, it is so rare to come across something of this caliber on the internets. I'm not saying it was perfect all the way through, but it was so damn near it that really, what can I say...it was perfect. I loved the characters, who were each so distinct, both from each other and from the multitude of stereotypes that plague the vast majority of writing. I loved the prose, and the storyline! Just, wow. I mean, I loved the way there was the way characters were, the way they saw themselves and the way others saw them...for instance Sasha, sees himself as the nice guy, the ordinary guy, the everyman protagonist. He has no airs or anything, isn't trying to project an image. But to everyone else at the Uni he's got this bad boy, well, maybe more class clown, rebellious image...and has the most beautiful girl on campus crazy over him. Then there's this bizarre artistic side to him that comes out around Vitka (the shorter names are easier to type), where all he wants to do is dance ballet, where he plays the piano and takes care of little children.

He's just so real. Writers are often so caught up in "fleshing out characters," making them "3 dimensional". But really only the physical body is three dimensional, personalities are infinitely complex to the point where specifying a number of dimensions is a useless exercise, they change with time and in various situations and you really portrayed that here, even in the more peripheral characters.

I'll stop now before this becomes too spammy, but yeah. And I absolutely love you for the Russianess (are you Russian?). I love Tolstoy and all that good stuff, and Russian names are so wonderful.

You know, if this were packed with a whole lot more detail and a few other events, maybe deeper explorations of all the different relationships involved, had a few moral themes running through it and was novel length...so basically, if this was a novel, I'd totally read it. It'd be amazing. Hell, I'd buy it!
Kindali Sidera chapter 3 . 3/19/2009
I really liked your story! Usually I'm all for angst, sex, blood, and see-through tights, but I'm actually kind of glad it didn't turn out that way. It's much more realistic this way with just the hint of "maybe I love him" and still getting back together with Polina. (Although I would most definitely love it if the other story appeared some day soon. *hint hint*)

I hope you write more stories in the future. I like your writing style and will be watching for more from you!

Thanks bunches,