Reviews for Watch out for the Poison Ivy
The True Dreamer chapter 1 . 1/27/2009
This was really beautiful! The words here have such a deep meaning...yet there are so few. This is the classic way great poems are made...Nice job!
dragonflydreamer chapter 1 . 1/27/2009
Nice short poem. The rhythm's really good; the syllable counts are all really close, and it gives this a real driving pulse.

I also like the title a lot. It ties to the poem even though it's not directly stated, and it's an interesting little aside thought that provides a nice twist to your meaning.

[play hide/and seek with death] I love those lines! The metaphor is great, and it blends so many emotions together.

My only suggestion would be to take another look at your line breaks. A lot of them, particular the last one, were oddly placed, which made this read a little choppily.

Nice work overall, though! :D
Isca chapter 1 . 1/27/2009
I'm torn between whether the poem should be left as it is (because the form is quaint and compact), or whether there should be two stanzas instead of one. As for the number of lines, I find it intriguing that you wrote five lines and not four or six (numbers associated with death). By writing five lines, you gave the poem an anxious, yet hopeful tone.

I like the fact that this piece is one grand simile. 'Life is like...' it's very introspective and thought-provoking. As for 'purposely getting lost,' now there's a mind-blowing idea! The philosophical nature of this line is extravagent-suggesting that, say, before we are born into this world, we choose our circumstances and experiences, and thus, every 'bad' thing that's ever happened to us is really a test to see how we react/adjust/survive/grow.

I wouldn't capitalize 'And,' but that's just a little grammer boo-boo. As for the game itself, I love that you tied it back to Death-considering that some psychologists would suggest that anyone who is tagged as 'It' is considered 'Death.' It definitely throws a kind of chilling, morbid viewpoint on a childhood game.

Finally, I like the message here, that no matter what we do in our lives, how hard we work, love, play, etc, Death will still find us all. That's very profound!

-Isca

(The Review Game - Poems - Depth)