Reviews for The Violet and the Tom
Dragonanzar chapter 25 . 4/8
Wow...this...I have no words. Or rather, I do, but they compare rather unfavourably with the magnificence that is this story :D Have you tried to publish this? Because if not, you should - it's significantly better than a whole load of published stories I've read.

So, to the story. I loved the characters. The main ones, of course, but also a whole load of the side ones. I loved Prince Arich with his sardonic, slightly cynical attitude that so suited a crown prince in the world you created. I loved Graff - his cheeky, reliable kindness. Karmin...I was sad when he died, but I agree that it had to happen. I'm glad that you didn't draw it out. Fionn, another character I really liked - his devotion to Nygell, even when he was whipping the man almost bloody. That heart-felt 'finally'...I really felt his exasperation and relief at that point. And honestly, he was absolutely integral to the shift in the main relationship, so I love him just for that. Although, on that note, I wonder if Karmin actually had an inkling about Nygell's true inclinations...

Now, the main characters. These were masterfully created. Obviously, we learn most about Sylvan since the whole story is told through his eyes, but the way you wove Nygell's character so well despite that first-person narrative was impressive. I had a suspicion fairly early on about Nygell's true desires through the hints you were letting drop which, of course, Sylvan didn't pick up as he was blinded by his own expectations and world-view. That's the kind of thing that made this story so fantastic - that for the most part, the characterisation was hinted at more than outright stated. I loved the transition of slave to master and master to slave, culminating in this final epilogue where the play is in front of others' eyes.

And I do say 'play', because Sylvan was completely correct when he said that what they did behind closed doors was not truly slavery: that a slave did not have the option of calling an end should events turn in a direction he was not comfortable with. The cold, harsh truth of slavery that Sylvan lived from childhood was that of having no choice. The whole part where his trainers did their best to destroy his natural inclination to be dominant is clear proof of that, as is the whole situation at the start of the book where he can hope, but should he be bought by someone he doesn't find pleasing, he must nevertheless behave in the same way as with a master whom he adores. What lies between Sylvan and Nygell will never be, and should never be that.

In short, I loved the story, and in fact couldn't go to sleep last night until I finished it ;) Although I will admit to not exactly knowing where to place the events in real history - and in fact found it a little jarring to have real place names being used when the story had more of a feel of a fantasy background - the world you created was rich and colourful. I loved your characterisation, and I definitely loved the way you covered the thorny theme of institutional slavery. This latter has always been a fascinating topic for me - enough to write my own story about it ;) and I loved how you wrote about it.

Thanks so much for writing!
rat chapter 2 . 1/11
I hate it, it is the WORST
Roblow Lady chapter 25 . 11/12/2020
I liked this book
Harley Quin chapter 1 . 7/23/2020
I'm rubber, You're glue Whatever you say bounces off me and makes a six-inch-diameter wound in you.
Dixie Normous chapter 9 . 7/23/2020
wow rlly good book
harry lawler chapter 5 . 1/23/2020
good story
harry lawler chapter 1 . 1/23/2020
cool interesting but i agree with what u r saying
Guest chapter 2 . 9/1/2019
it can be boring but i like it i am just saying this so you can make your book better and less boring and more fun and COOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL
COCONUT chapter 2 . 8/14/2019
OMG SOO GOOOOOOD
Coconut chapter 2 . 8/5/2019
YASSSSS
Guest chapter 1 . 7/23/2019
OMG LOVE THIS BOOK! Its a little short but it is so AWESOME
karlabritt chapter 7 . 4/24/2019
No, don't worry. It does not feel ‘constructed’ — you are satisfying Sylvan's curiosity as well as the reader's. I am not overwhelmed with information, quite the opposite - at this point I am interested enough in your characters that I am thankful for any further insight.
karlabritt chapter 3 . 4/24/2019
Hi there! I just started reading and although this project is completed I would like to point out, that vision is a blur if you drop Belladonna in your eyes. You have trouble to keep them open in daylight because the pupils cannot contract. Your protagonist should not be able to watch his oglers.
(Sorry for my nagging...)
Rafi chapter 4 . 11/14/2018
I am starting to fall in love with this.
e s h wa nn a chapter 1 . 10/15/2018