Reviews for George, or something else
speakeasy-love chapter 1 . 5/6/2009
wonderful!
socks-lost chapter 1 . 2/3/2009
The poem itself I like. I like the format and how you got off track in the middle. I also like how your view was different than a lot of people I know dislike Bush. I don't really agree with the political bit of it though. Call me dumb, but I honestly don't understand why everyone is blaming Bush for all the bad in America. But I do like the chronological thing about growing up throughout the Bush administration. Awesome job! Keep writting!
Isca chapter 1 . 1/28/2009
I love the subtle stream-of-consciousness throughout. This poem is definitely very well-written and organized. "I could turn the heat on, but what's the point?" Tragic! Vivid! Amazing! I also like the reference to 9/11 near the beginning-you wrote it very tactfully. :)
Dale Christopher chapter 1 . 1/28/2009
I love that this is so bitter and undisguised. This is an interesting moment in history, because all the people who weren’t fans of Bush are now able to come out and really lay the boot in, sort of like a vicious ‘I told you so’ to the nation. I like that you reflect that you grew up and went through some of the most important moments of your young life while he was in power, and that seems to have shaped you in a way.

I also really like the fact that while it begins with quite a strong political message, it turns inwards in the middle. It’s very reflective (I seem to have a thing for that word at the moment), and as always extremely well written. It is different though, it seems very straight forward, and there is much less poetic play on words that I’m used to in your writing. Not that there isn’t any, but it seemed less evident. To me, this feels like you talking sternly to the, telling rather than suggesting. It’s strong, and very 21st century American.

I love your defiance of the old administration. I’m not American (though I wish I lived there, and I would be an American citizen if I could) so I can’t really fully grasp the emotion you, and people like you, have when it comes to Bush. He’s more than hated; he seems almost pitied, and seemed to sink so rapidly. But I understand (sort of) what you feel, and I love the way you’ve said it.

Peace,

Daze
Christy Leigh Stewart chapter 1 . 1/27/2009
I was expecting something preachy and disillusioned but this was so well done and insightful, great job.