Reviews for Verity Fair: a Regency romance in 10 chapters
AbbeyXD chapter 10 . 7/31/2011
wow! I would've never suspected the maid! awesome story! loved it! :D
marzmez chapter 10 . 7/6/2011
This story was excellent reading. It reminds me of reading the Jane Austen Mysteries by Stephanie Barron. Well Done!
Nuhjookule chapter 10 . 8/4/2010
Okay, so I told myself that I'd only read the first chapter, but I ended up reading the whole thing! I really liked it! The language was lovely and very authentic. I'm really into murder mysteries and crime drama right now, so I was instantly hooked! The only blatant suggestion I have is that you should add more physical description to set the scene. But it was great! I'm tired, so I'll wrap this up. Can't wait to read the sequel! Hugs and kisses! - Nuhjookule :)
Nuhjookule chapter 1 . 8/4/2010
Wow! Great start! I'm surprised this story has so few reviews! :3 It's actually good, lol! (Strange for this site. :P) One thing I noticed instantly was that the characters actually spoke and acted as if they were in the time period you set them in. A lot of times, I'll come across stories where the characters are supposed to be in nineteenth century France, yet they speak like modern day American teenagers! You did a good job on this first chapter! The pace picks up a little too quickly towards the end, but it's no real problem. ) I look forward to reading the next chapters! Hugs and kisses!
Ptronille chapter 10 . 5/2/2010
Very, very good chute. (Yes, that word again. I can find no other. End? Too vague. Sentence? Messy. So: chute. Sorry. :P)

I didn't expect Patsy to be the murderer. I mean, I discovered it when a little after Miss Cumpton did. I also admit - I didn't expect Mis Kylton to be suspected either, didn't see that coming at all. To my defence, I am a little tired.

Or daft! haha (Have you ever thought that writing haha was so fake? As if one wrote it just to signify a joke. Which means one must suppose the person reading them an idiot who doesn't understand humour. Please forget I wrote haha. I'll stick to :P, at least they seem more sincere. Anyway.)

Well that review doesn't have much of a literary point, now, has it? Not yet, anyway. I have to correct that.

My thoughts upon your story:

- As I mentioned before, very good beginning, I must say.

- The wit is kept throughout the chapters, which was duly appreciated on my part.

- The characters are interesting, though they might need a little more brush-up. (We do not know much about Miss Cumpton, after all; her temper, her usual and preferred activities; her siblings and their temperament; ... The secondary characters should be detailed a little bit more, also, in my opinion.)

- I just LOVE the chapter titles.

- One thing I regret slightly, however, is the length of the chapter, which went from long to short (approx. the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th) to long again. And the second thing is that the brilliance of the first chapter is a little lost and dulled in the next. That is to say, the tone you delightfully use (and we delightfully read) seems to dissolve a bit throughout the story, except maybe in the last chapter when it comes up again. The paragraphs are less long, the details and descriptions more seldom. That let me down a little. I still think your story is great, however !

Anyway, I shall go, now. Maybe to read the rest of the story. Goodnight.

Ptronille.

PS : sorry if the style of my review seems a bit bombastic/grand/presumptuous, but combine tiredness and reading 19th century English when it is not your native language, and you get why I write like that. :P
Ptronille chapter 1 . 5/2/2010
Good evening.

I just finished the first chapter of your story, and it is quite good. I admit after browsing through your profile -I always do- and seeing that you liked Jane Austen (who is one of my favourite authors), then reading the first few sentences of your story, it seemed to me that I recognized the style. Besides, as the scene took place in Bath, I took to reading with the expectation that you were 'oh, just another Austen wanna-bes two centuries late'. Another parallel I drew with Austen, was the fact that Mr Cumpton's death would entail the transfer of his properties to another man (much like the Bennets' case).

I changed my mind, however, when you first made me laugh (if you must wonder, it is the 'surprinsingly sharp elbow'). Your humour is quirky and different from Austen. So, a good point for you. I thought, 'I must have been prejudiced' (sorry, could'nt help it).

And I had been, actually. Your chapter is surprising in many ways. The first one, as I said, is that it is not a copy of Miss Austen's work, as expected. The second is your wit (the clergyman! 'Yes, I rather think we shall!'). And the third, well, the "chute", as we say in my country, which is to say the brusque and sudden, suspens-filled end.

SO not like Jane Austen.

Now, I'm looking forward to reading more, and as I discovered there were three books (see, I did read your profile :P), I am going to enjoy it !

Be warned, though. I might not leave so full a review at every chapter.

Except if you blow my mind, which you did quite aptly this time.

I stand at the ready should you want to comment on my comment. :)

See you

Ptronille
kellycc23 chapter 1 . 9/27/2009
I have only read chapter 1 so far but I am impressed! Your story is compelling, and the ending makes me want to read more immediately. You are also a fantastic writer - especially for someone who is only 18. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought I was reading straight out of a Jane Austen novel (though your story seems to have a lot more excitement to it than hers would!) Great job, and I look forward to reading the rest later!
J.E.Wyatt chapter 4 . 2/16/2009
"Mrs. Bingham, who could not longer abide the tedium of her husband’s conversation (consisting, as it did, chiefly of humphs and harrumphs)."

You made me laugh with that one sentence. Now, should anyone humph or harrumph, I'll think of Mr. Bingham.

Oh no, someone had an overdose of laudanum! dun dun dun...
J.E.Wyatt chapter 3 . 2/16/2009
I laughed at the part about Pev. You have such interesting characters here. In my mind, I can kind of picture them all; and as I read, I feel like I'm watching a BBC costume drama.
J.E.Wyatt chapter 2 . 2/16/2009
Very interesting! I feel like I'm actually at the scene, listening to these gentlemen talk. Now, on the the next chapter!
J.E.Wyatt chapter 1 . 2/13/2009
I couldn't resist. I simply HAD to read one chapter today...even though I should be in bed getting the sleep I need for work tomorrow. I loved it! Your style of writing just leaves me in awe! I don't know how you do it. Anyways, I can't wait to read the rest!

-J.
S. J. Komza chapter 5 . 2/13/2009
I was beginning to suspect Mr. Coningham, but I assure you that thus far I have found nothing particularly the matter with your plot. The tension, though mild, is there, and your style is unfalteringly Austen-esque.

Well done :)
S. J. Komza chapter 2 . 2/2/2009
I have read these two chapters with much interest, and presently admiration, and can find nothing the matter with them - not that there would be, you know, but generally one expects there to be, for none of the authors on this website are professional, and I fancy I make a good deal of mistakes myself. All I can really say is that this is uncommonly well done - from your characters to your style - and, mark my word, you would do well to hold on to this style, for not many people who dedicate themselves to it succeed in authenticity.

I shall continue reading, and post a review if I hit upon anything amiss or particularly good.

Audie.