Reviews for The Business of Being Ill
asylum writer chapter 1 . 4/26/2009
This review is from the Review Game's Review Marathon. There's a link in my profile.

"I do not know much about the business of writing wills, but I know a great deal about the business of being ill and it is a very dreadful business indeed."

- I liked that as an opening sentence. Something about it really drew me in... maybe just the subject matter, or maybe the way 'the business of writing wills' and 'the business of being ill' sound in the same sentence, because it sort of rhymes and I like the way it sounds. Did that make sense?

"the buttons were made from the skin of dead priests"

- Oh. Okay then.

"And so, to my teething brother Kent, who should no longer be teething because he is eleven"

- I like the humorous things that you managed to insert in this. It's a will, and yet it's funny. And I enjoy finding humor in weird places like that.
Rose Warne chapter 1 . 3/27/2009
Seconded. :)

I like it, but why? Maybe it's the complex and no doubt depressing plot told within a few jovial sentences, or maybe it's the characters being fleshed out in so few words, or the character of the narrator, or maybe it's all of these. One thing is for certain. Good writing!
Anya Mabell chapter 1 . 2/9/2009
Well done! This was an enjoyable read, and a nice, light-hearted twist on a serious subject. I thought you handled it really well.

-Anya