Reviews for The Rose
Belladonna Snow chapter 1 . 6/22/2010
This is, I believe, your most powerful poem. Though it is short, the imagery is incredible. My favorite is the last stanza

"I fear one day, the final petal will drop

I will be nothing but a hollow shell

Holding a thorn-studded stem"

It paints so perfectly how once you love someone, you give them a part of yourself. No matter how the relationship may end, you never get that peice back. It is gone forever.

Absoulutely amazeing. Is going strait to favs.
WriterOnTheMove chapter 1 . 2/16/2010
really beautiful. I love how you used the original metaphor of a rose to represent love, but added your own saddening or even a little morbin tone. Really good job :)

WriterOnTheMove
Your-Magpie chapter 1 . 2/11/2010
typo on the third line, but you probably know that already? ;)

love this.

seems like each stanza is an individual petal.

or the rose itself, wilting, receeding in on itself.

love the imagery.

Thorn studded stem

Fall from crimson beauty.

drop into darkeness.

my favourites.

i WOULD say that i would like the second line changed (but this is just me, being nitpicky i may add)

purely because i like the idea of not knowing of it being a rose definitively, apart from the title and the obvious botanical hints like 'petal' and all.

and i like the verbs (lol what a thing to comment on)

but because it gives the feel of fast pace and action-.

fall, drop, crumble(verb?:L)

and of course, hollow shell always makes me think of an upturned homeless tortoise :( hey i want a tortoise!
Written In Red chapter 1 . 2/11/2010
The middle of this poem is what I liked the most. It flows well and is a perfect metaphor of when we don't mean to hurt someone we love, but we do anyways. I completely get what you're saying in this poem. It makes total sense.
Vernelley chapter 1 . 2/7/2010
Wow. This is really descriptive.

I see how the symbolism of the rose works, it's very unique and creative.
Lee Daniel chapter 1 . 1/21/2010
Generally I tend to shy away from poetry that uses a rose as its main focus because it is often too stereotypical (something so beautiful causing so much pain...etc), but this was a refreshingly unique view on a tired subject. Once again you have hit it out of the ballpark (you don't mind if I use a sports reference do you?). I know what it is like to feel as if little pieces are falling away, but I have never before thought of it in the way you described it here.

The only correction I have is that you put a space after the a in your word another and it made it look like two separate words. Other than that, you have once again achieved perfection.