Reviews for Racism
Sylvara chapter 1 . 5/28/2010
I found this very interesting, I agree most than antything on how much frustrating and cruel are these blind and egoistical people saying that "we use race as an excuse, because racisme is no more nowedays." It makes me angry to no ends.
Lord Vivian Darling chapter 1 . 4/16/2010
Racism & so-called 'white privilege' ARE different, because it IS possible to be racist against WHITES. I've experienced it,sadly.
FuckMeAlice chapter 1 . 2/12/2009
I really liked this piece, and the message it sends. I am really sick of people who try to make it seem, especially from my parents' generation to my generation, that racism is a thing of the past and that everything's been resolved. It's obvious, to me at least, that racism is still very much alive. I don't believe in white guilt or anything like that; what's been done 300 years ago by people to whom I am very tenuously related is not my crime. But at the same time, I feel that it's obvious white privilege is a fancy word for preferential treatment. Anyone could see that if they took out the legalese.

Great story. Really made me think.

-Stardust.
Ruby Candy chapter 1 . 2/9/2009
Racism is a tough, tough subject and everyone has different views on it. My view is that a lack of racism isn't simply to treat everyone the same. Being non racist means to me that we accept that certain people are different.

The lady who wrote the paper you studied doesn't sound like she means any harm; she just sounds particularly ignorant. Also the lady who spoke in your class about going to the black school is right - she probably doesn't feel like there is a difference because of what she's experienced. It is just a matter of circumstance. She's probably just not able to see the bigger picture.

You probably shouldn't be too surprised at people judging you by the way you look also. When I went to Uni, there were A LOT of exchange students from all over the globe and many, MANY of them had difficulties with English. Don't worry about it. At least your guidance counseller is making sure that there isn't someone struggling with basic skills, feeling sad and alone. I've been there. It's not a nice feeling.

The best thing is probably to just roll your eyes and carry on :) Or, in the case of close black friend of mine, take advantage of your heritage. He calls me Cracker, I am allowed to call him Nigger, and we have a Pakistani friend who is Terrorist. This is cool with us, because we're completely at ease with who we are.

It's funny getting dirty looks though!