Reviews for Curtain Call
Aubyanne M Poulter chapter 1 . 7/2/2013
:facepalm: Oh, I can already tell I'm gonna love this.

Small spoiler alert: in the 5th book of The 8th Square series, it's all a bit Gaston Leroux, Bram Stoker, and Tom Clancy brainstorming in a writer's room feeling. ;)

So, I'm gonna love this! I'll be back with an actual review. Great to see you're still around!

-AMP
rsDragon chapter 10 . 1/31/2012
Very detailed observations of everything from Adrienne. Wonder where this story would go.
LuxVenus chapter 9 . 9/11/2011
Intriguing. I love the way the story is written thus far; please, do continue.
berndi chapter 8 . 8/18/2011
There's something to be said for the fact that Martine already sounds stunningly hot ;) I get so into Adrienne as a character, because you write her in such a solid way, that her reactions feel like my reactions.
Touzen chapter 8 . 8/17/2011
What great timing you have! Just yesterday I was actually involved in a rather lengthy conversation about stories written in first-person. We were musing about how (and why) some first-person stories manage to be amazingly good, but generally a great deal manage to be dull and interesting. When defending the amazingly good stories, yours were certainly some of the most prominent in my head.

So it's actually quite perfect that you updated when you did, because I was able to read it and reaffirm, "Yes, this is what makes a good first-person POV story." But somehow I'd feel silly pointing out all the things you do that make your story good, since you're the one writing them. And since I seem completely incapable of saying anything constructive (if I see a lot of room for improvement in a story, I tend to just not read it) I suppose I don't have much else to say.

Well, actually, I can say that the amount of research you put into this is very appreciated. That's not the ideal word to use, but I think it gets my meaning across well enough. You clearly demonstrate that you know what you're writing about (well enough to fool me anyway, since I know so little of both France and opera!) and it really fleshes out the whole story.

Aside from that though, all I can say is that I'm eager to see how this progresses. Certainly, it looks like the end of the chapter is setting up the next one to be very interesting. So, thanks so much for sharing, and I look forward to more!
berndi chapter 7 . 7/19/2011
Ahh. I don't care how long it takes between updates, as long as it continues going! Love it. And the real beginning of the story, it feels like.
Touzen chapter 7 . 7/19/2011
Well, I'm really happy you decided to continue this! I'm completely serious when I say that everything you write is a joy to read. You're definitely one of the better writers I've come across, and I've read a great deal of books.

Anyway, on the topic of this particular chapter. I think what stood out to me the most might be your liveliness of your supporting and background characters. Maigny, the general manager, even the little blonde at the end, everyone played their role flawlessly and gave Adrienne good, believable material to work with. Like how they say it's so important for bit parts to be done well, lest the illusion be broken, or something. Now of course, I love Adrienne, and I adore your writing overall, but I just wanted to take a moment and examine why. I think that, though certainly not the only one, is definitely a big reason.

And now that I feel like I have accomplished something more than a standard "I like your story" review, I think I'll end this. Thanks so much for sharing, and I'm looking forward to more!
Fei chapter 6 . 1/4/2011
Love this. There's something so real about your characters...
Touzen chapter 6 . 12/6/2010
I think this is a brilliant beginning, and I'd love to see where it goes from here. I really hope you haven't dropped this story. Anyway, thanks for sharing, and I'm hoping for more.
Twelfth Night chapter 4 . 3/19/2010
Very suave. Some spy (she's a spy-kinda-thing, right? I'm wrong about these things a lot...) novel-things can come off as cheesy or corny. Yours? Definitely not. It was enjoyable, and due to Adrienne's army brat heritage made it make sense and seem far less random than it could've.

I was kinda confused at first because there were two girls checking her out...but then I thought: gay bar. Or not? Yeah, like I said, wrong a lot. XD
bookaholic13 chapter 6 . 1/4/2010
damn only one chapter! :)
Twelfth Night chapter 3 . 12/31/2009
This was amazing! I love Maigny, drama queen and all, the explanation from Bernie was great. It sort of made sense of a strange situation, along with Adrienne's history.
Xenn.be.Twisted chapter 6 . 12/27/2009
I LOVE IT.

Godammit update more often!
Twelfth Night chapter 2 . 12/27/2009
That was amazing! I loved the flashback... that was a flashback, right? Lila sounds amazing, and this really helped me learn something new about Adrienne and her past. Though, I can't tell why she sounds so estranged from her father, he sounds pretty cool to me, but I guess I'll find out later.

The description, where she talks about the background to her eavesdropping was fantastic...!
Twelfth Night chapter 1 . 12/26/2009
I like this! Um, Adrienne makes me feel a little inferior with her bilingual skills, but overall, I like her. Though, I have to say, my favorite parts here were the dialogue. Your dialogue's GREAT. Some people have this forced awkward thing going on, your narrative and dialogue just sort of...flow, you know?