Reviews for The Raw and the Cooked
Aime Atem chapter 12 . 4/24/2009
Wow! This is marvelous! At first, when reading it, I was slightly worried that the food jargon might get a little too advanced (or amybe a little too simplistic), but you wrote at a perfect intensity. Thanks for the marvelous story!
cam chapter 2 . 4/22/2009
Marek is too cute! :D :D
cam chapter 1 . 4/22/2009
Oh God, this was so well written!
Sumire Cherise chapter 12 . 3/22/2009
This was so well researched! All the cooking and plant inserts set a really great precedence for each chapter ] Thoroughly enjoyed that.
Lexy-Kun chapter 12 . 3/14/2009
Very surprising story, I wonder how the idea came to you to use food to describe a relationship. A little overwhelming at the beginning, it gets some getting used to, but the result is very good.

I really liked it. You handled it very well, you wrote a love story through food and cooking, and it works. I find that pretty amazing, well done !

What was pretty disturbing for me is that Marek's description really reminds me a lot of a friend of mine that I just can't relate to anything romantic, so I had a hard time trying to separate the image of those two in my mind.

Anyway, it's a very very good story, and I love the fact that there's a hint at the end to the fact that they're not stuck in one "role", but that they... "turn and turn about" as you say. I don't know, it's just that for me those kind of relationship seems a lot more balanced that the kind when they each have a specific role, but what do I know about it huh?

So, point is : I really liked it. Oh, and I was glad to see there was a Francophile in the story, and to hear about clafoutis (my mom used to make clafoutis all the time when I was a child). Though most french songs don't have any accordeon in it, I'm not sure where that image came from... maybe a lot of our old, traditional and maybe forgotten by my generation songs and musics have accordeons ? It must be, I'll have to try and listen to some less contemporary french music. Maybe it's just that we don't know enough about our own culture anymore ?

Okay, time to stop rambling. Thank you for this story, it was a real treat. The emotions were all very well conveyed, it was really painful to read about Marek's hurt feelings. Once again, well done and thank you.
frogs of war chapter 12 . 3/13/2009
This doesn't really end. Or maybe it slipped away rather than closed.

Flowers and plants and food. I enjoyed plant history and the menus, even the ones I'd never eat. I loved their relationship told through food.
Cattails chapter 12 . 3/9/2009
They ended up together! Yay! :D I loved that ending. They are so cute together... I wonder if Jackson's cousins will be able to come over to America, then? Hmm... Argh, this story has made hungry and crave tomatoes... As you probably already know, I loved all the food references which created themes for the chapters It was pretty fascinating. And I just found out that there's a book called "The Raw and the Cooked"...although I'm not sure what it's about...probably something to do with myths or sociology...O.o But anyway. I loved this. It filled me with warm fuzzies
jshortcake chapter 12 . 3/8/2009
I love how you set up each chapter with a random fact about food.

And I like food. And the San Francisco Bay area (unfortunately I live in LA county). And Marek.

Had to read this in one sitting because it was so good. Thanks for writing it, it made my day. :)
mandrake-o chapter 12 . 3/4/2009
Loved, loved, loved this story. )

And I agree most with your parting statement. No one likes to read past the happy ending, it's boring. That's why stories end there. They can't end in the conflict, because you still feel like something's supposed to happen. But as soon as you hit the resolution that's it. Why do you need to go any further?

My only criticism: You missed out my favourite month of November and I only just noticed. Lol.

) Mandraco.
Zebbie chapter 10 . 3/3/2009
Why are you writing on here? Seriously - wasted talent. This is just beautiful. Please, when it's finished, please send it off to an agent. I would honestly pay for the postage myself and consider it money well spent. Really, really sophisticated writing. The type of thing I'd love to have the knowledge and the patience to write. Incredibly well done. Seasons and food and people all linked in seamlessly. Wonderful storytelling.

More chapters would be an absolute treat. Very much loved.
TRSNG chapter 8 . 3/1/2009
What fun is this. I love the food and the tension and the Marek.

I'd say Keep it Up but this story is a powerhouse and it doesn't need my feeble encouragement.

awesome
mandrake-o chapter 8 . 2/28/2009
I just read this story and I'm loving it. It could be really pretentious, but it isn't.

I feel like I wanted to say something else but I don't remember.

Anyway, it's a lovely story. And all about food, which I must admit I have a fond weakness for.

) Mandraco.
Cattails chapter 6 . 2/26/2009
That salad sounds awesome o.o So does the chocolate. They're so meant to be together :3
Nineheart chapter 6 . 2/26/2009
Jackson is so unaccepting. He should really get a move on it. Poor Marek..

:) Update!
Nineheart chapter 5 . 2/21/2009
Aw, Jackson is so mean... But I love Marek. He's so sweet even when people reject him like that. But really, he and Jackson should get on with it now that Jackson's realized.
49 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »