Reviews for You Called It Love
spitex chapter 1 . 6/23/2012
I love this. It was beautiful.
thewhimsicalbard chapter 1 . 1/4/2010
I wandered across this one, so I'll give it a whirl.

Let's see... I loved the repetition of those lines about "telling me you loved me" and "lecturing about sonnets and polygons."

I'm not sure who this is you as the author are speaking to. Honestly, it kind of reminds me of my ex-girlfriend's attitude toward my writing. She didn't like it when things weren't clear.

However, it could also be a teacher or some other adult who was giving you what he or she called "tough love."

The one thing about your poem that I really found interesting was how you tied the beginning and end of the poem together. You first describe the person across from you as a collection of old films and writings, and then at the end you call yourself, or rather, your entire existence, "a(sic) inarticulate bit of symbolism to you."

Yeah, you need "an," not "a," in there. That's the only really telling error in this piece.

It's interesting that this other person you write about called their affection "love" when you say that they tried, in reality, to shut out feeling. The connections of the different pieces of this poem definitely bring it all together. Good work!
idontwannapopuponsearchengines chapter 1 . 12/31/2009
I love this-this is a subject that I think all your readers can relate to, since on this site everyone is some sort of writer or appreciater of art. It doesn't have to be a lover-it could be a strict parent who wants to change your views,

or just a critical friend who went too far.

The paragraphs in italics helped the flow along, actually. It gave the eyes a nice break and it didn't feel like I was reading a wall of text. At the same time, a nice way to draw attention to certain parts and set them apart.

The repetition in your word choice-especially "tearing down my walls" and the "sonnets and polygons" etc. feels like it was carefully planned to give a desired effect. It feels like the chorus of a song that's supposed to stick in the listener's head-and if that was your intention, you did it well. It does a good job of drawing emphasis to your points and certain details.

The tone of your voice feels like you've given up on this person and your relationship with them. It feels like they've driven you to a point where you feel it's no longer worth it to try to make it work with them. If so, I cannot say they didn't deserve it if they couldn't accept you as you were and kept trying to change you. That's not love, in reference to the title, in any way shape or form, when you have to try to change someone.

Wonderful.
I be a poet lost in morbidity chapter 1 . 9/7/2009
I like the way this poem is quite blunt, to the point, it doesn't circle around what it's trying to say and this makes it a more interesting read. The rhythm is excellent, its a great song, (I sang it) And it flows very very well. I love the topic too, its a very true piece of work and poetry that is truthful is always the best. I can honestly say this is one of my favorite pieces i have read on this site. :)
young and the reckless chapter 1 . 4/12/2009
so i looked over your profile and saw that you preferred something more than empty flattery. i hope you won't be too angry with me for giving you just that. really, i have no suggestions for you. i feel like this is a very personal piece to you (and if it's not, then you portrayed the emotions very well) well done.