Reviews for Paper and Ink
Relala chapter 1 . 1/19/2010
Every now and then it’s possible to come across something that leaves you breathless and fills you with envy because you wish you wrote it. I’m having one of those times right now.

I were to try and find my favourite part of this chapter, I fear I would post the whole thing over again. I suppose I adore “Once she has had her fill, she will take the notebook, any other paper that may be on the person’s body, any stray pens, and flee.” the most, however, because it was the line that hooked me in like a fish and left me craving for more.

I found the “The Lost Boys” reference odd though because I actually thought of the Lost Boys of Africa who cross the desert before I thought of the stupid B movie. So that didn’t fit quite so wonderfully as the Peter reference. For me anyway.
Ziribella West chapter 5 . 9/23/2009
The two parts seemed a little... broken. I know you meant it to be very different, but I had a hard time telling what was going on.

*frustrated* I can't seem to explain what I really mean!

Is Sam dead or is he alright?
Ziribella West chapter 4 . 6/19/2009
I'm intrigued with how this is going! I want to know what happens to the boy, "Sam" and what exactly Margolo does...

Paper. A vampire who is a writer. Brilliant!
RightToRemainSilent chapter 1 . 6/13/2009
Wow, you have an amazing writing style! I love the way you describe things, this is definitely one of the best stories I've read on here.

Just out of interest... where did the name Margolo come from, and how exactly do you pronounce it? Coz I just think I'm saying it wrong...

Well, please hurry with chapter 5!

:Symph:
Sunny Kinsington chapter 3 . 5/6/2009
Based on this short story, you have quite the elegant type of style that I am personally akin to take quite a liking to. This is pretty well-written, I must say.

My main critique is that there is so much left vague or unknown. I don't usually like to read short stories because that is so often the case. I really hope someday you choose to rewrite this as a longer version or give a fellow author permission to do so. There is so much more that I want to know about the characters and plot.

How could they be writing the same story? What specifically happened to make her so dissatisfied with her human life? Who is the boy? Why must she kill for paper, rather than merely steal? Of course, I didn't list my questions in order of significance, nor did I list every question that came to mind as I read.

I know that these things were meant to be left unanswered, but I really wish they weren't. You, my dear, have carelessly abandoned your curious reader(s) by choosing to write a short story rather than a novel or novella.

Mister Black chapter 3 . 5/6/2009
Although I'm not really a short story kind of guy, I sat down for this one, and I'll admit that I liked it.

I liked Margolo because she's animalistic to an extent. It brings some authenticity to the character who spends her time writing escapist stories, well, at least the time she's not going out and eating people.

Issues: The line "Margolo doesn’t need money. Margolo needs paper." feels contradictory. Money is paper. Perhaps something along the lines of "money was of no use, it has already been drawn on." Also, I object strongly to the use of the word "escapist" in the first section. You convey the concept well enough elsewhere in the story. Just coming out and saying what it is seems too simplistic, or even worse, blunt.

It was enjoyable to read though,
Solemn Coyote chapter 2 . 4/28/2009
I don't think people can really steal from terry pratchett. They only lovingly borrow. Anyways, I'd been meaning to read this for while, so here goes.

1)Your writing, as always, is lovely. You do gothic well.

2)You know, I was really hoping from the moment you introduced him that the writer boy would get a chance to befriend margolo. Their relationship is going to be decidedly postmortem now. Still, you wrote that sequence in a very casually heartbreaking way, and that I approve of.

3)Still not a happy story, but it's elegantly told. I'm hoping that the contents of the boy's notebook will get a chapter all their own.

-sc
Ziribella West chapter 2 . 4/24/2009
Hmm. Fear in a vampire. Very interesting! Short stories are alright, I don't mind!
Solemn Coyote chapter 1 . 4/10/2009
This is, quite possibly, my favoritest thing ever (although I am easily distractable, so the bearer of that title might be subject to change.) It does a fantastic job both with hamming it up on the vampire angst, and with critiqueing the recent sparklyness of the genre. What's more, it has that feeling of honesty a story gets when its author has presumably invested some of herself in it.

I have only two minor nit picks to make here. The first is that Lost Boys doesn't work as a clear Peter pan reference in vampire context, thanks to that B movie of the same name and its sequel. When you bring it up, it sounds slightly more cheesy than it does tragic. Unless, of course, you were actually planning on referencing the B movie. In which case you rock.

My second nitpick also may be sort of a compliment in disguise. Basically, it's that this piece is too finished. I want to read more of it. I want the characters to have a chance to escape their tragedy. I have kind of a soft spot for vampire characters who write bad vampire fiction, and if you'd be willing to write it, I'd love to read a longer story that springboards off of this piece.

best regards,

-SC
Ziribella West chapter 1 . 3/17/2009
I liked it! I think this could easily be turned into a full story if you were interested. Just enough info to really whet my appetite. I like the imagery you used too.
Chordy Day chapter 1 . 3/11/2009