Reviews for They Never Told Me
The Five chapter 1 . 10/30/2009
Wow, this was really amazing. You've managed to capture so much emotion, in a way that completely lacks unnecessary melodrama. I really feel for the poor... uh... dragon? And the human who has to live with the guilt of killing a sentient being.
Icyfire4w5 chapter 1 . 10/23/2009
Hihi, I guess that this poem is about a knight slaying a dragon, right? :)

I love this poem because you use simple words to convey a meaningful message.
RYTwinDemon chapter 1 . 9/19/2009
Oh, this was a wonderful piece to read. I loved how you used the slaying of a dragon to convey your message. Short and simple, but it struck home. Awesome job! :-D
vitriolicvermilion chapter 1 . 9/7/2009
This is a wonderful painting of exactly what it should be: war, the dehumanization of our enemies, and the human condition.

The serpent metaphor was beautiful and the line breaks fitted very well.

I felt a little unresolved about the last line, but ultimately I think it works fine.

Good job (:
RightHereInYourArms chapter 1 . 4/22/2009
Wow, that really got to me. You wrote it in a very simple, easily understood way yet the issues you raised were complex. I was curious when I read your summary, so I clicked, not very expecting much and I was pleasantly surpised. I understand what you meant from beggining to end and you are very talented. Definetly keepm writing! ]
londonmascara chapter 1 . 4/19/2009
Goodness, me; this poem is mighty fine. First, I like the way you formatted it, breaking up the stanzas and such. Secondly, the tone was a marvelous mix of sadness and bravery. No one ever feels bad for the dragon, slayed by the brave knight at the end of medival movies and such...but this questions the ritual, noting that the dragon has feelings, too. Wonderful job! I really liked it!
mikey magee chapter 1 . 4/18/2009
I liked the repetition of the "they never told me". It had a nice connotation to it, suggesting that we always dehumanize our enemies when in reality they're not that different from us.

The from was nice, but it was a little distracting in a way. I think the lines that separate the stanzas should be removed. Instead why not just have the lines be singled space, and then have the stanza be double spaced.

I loved the imagery. Lines like "He snaked about like a thing tortured" really helped me to feel the enemies humanity and it served the poem gratly.

Very nice job. Keep Writing!
LadyGawain chapter 1 . 4/18/2009
: O This was so good and sad and creepy!
luckyblakcat chapter 1 . 4/18/2009
I really like this. It reminds me of All Quiet on the Western Front, which is a book set in World War I from the POV of a German soldier