Reviews for Why I Will Not Read Your Story
tempted to rock chapter 5 . 3/18
I read through this, and - no offense - your snark is entertaining as hell! If I actually knew you in person, I'm afraid I would make it my mission to keep you well enough annoyed, if only to keep the snark coming. I'm not a very good friend.
In any case, I especially enjoyed your reference to the late Fluffy (or was it Fluff?) by the author notes rant. You had me in stitches!
Alex331 chapter 5 . 2/23
This is really informative. Thanks for posting!
DeepAndSoulful chapter 5 . 5/6/2013
I completely love your guide! It really helped me as a reader!
FerSureMaybe chapter 5 . 1/16/2012
I just found this and am so happy I did! Thank you very much, it is way too helpful :)
Lonely Tylenol chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
Great advice. I'm actually kind of sad to admit I do the same thing with checking the chapter/review ratio...I'm definitely going to take your words to heart and apply them to my own work. Thanks for posting this!
plumblossom chapter 1 . 2/23/2011
. . ._review count_ . . . "If others don't feel your story is worth reviewing, then why should I bother myself with it? "

That's too bad: I now have a policy of going out of my way to review stories that deserve them but don't get them, but it's not a common policy. Mostly people review the stories that are already getting reviews. I've read some really excellent stories that nobody seemed to have noticed before.
S. J. Vanne chapter 5 . 12/13/2010
I noticed you added my story to your alerts. I thought this outline was actually quite helpful. If there is anything wrong with my story, please let me know. I like constructive criticism, it helps me a lot. I know I have a few mistakes in my story, but the only time I really get to work on it is at three in the morning, so sometimes my mind doesn't quite pick up on things.
Indigo Masquerade chapter 5 . 11/28/2010
Maybe you could do something about specific genres? Or maybe you want to stay more general. I dunno, it's up to you.

Another great chapter, I'm looking forward to more.
Indigo Masquerade chapter 4 . 11/28/2010
I want to read the story about Shaniqua the ghetto princess xD

I love it when you talk abouut characters. The technical stuff is very helpful, but this is what interests me most. I like to think I'm ok at creating characters but I definitly picked up some tips here.

Loved your rant on Mary-Sues and I'm glad to see you're not a Twilight fan. I remember the first story I wrote, starring a painfully self-rightious, humble, beautiful Sue named Taylor. She had the tragic background, the powers, everything. She was of course a thinner, blonder version of me. It makes me cringe just thinking about it. I was only twelve :P I have also become beautiful since I wrote about Taylor so I don't write Sues anymore ;) It's the perfect cure.

I'm really enjoying this guide. Thanks so much for writing it!
Indigo Masquerade chapter 3 . 11/28/2010
Another fab chapter. Why'd I use the word fab? I'm feeling festive.

I personally hate the vast majority of prologues, especially on this site. The ones I come across are usually vague and never explained properly as the story progreses.

I don't do much, editing-wise. I finish my writing, leave it alone for a while, then go over it. Usually I cringe and change it so it's unrecognisable. Rinse and repeat about five times, throw in a few spell/grammar checks and I'm good to go. You'd think.
Indigo Masquerade chapter 2 . 11/28/2010
Crap, I always forget to use a comma rather than a period in speech. Thanks for drawing my attention to it, it's something I'll have to watch out for in my writing.

I seriously would like to show this chapter to 60% of this websites' users, haha. It's very helpful.
Indigo Masquerade chapter 1 . 11/28/2010
Not sure how to review this seeing as it's nonfiction, but I'll give it a go anyway.

Love it so far, I agree with every point you've made. Nice to see I'm not the only one who's been mistaken for a flamer by an over sensitive writer.

The Untitled thing especially gets my goat for some reason. I don't think I've ever failed to pass on a story called Untitled.

Again, I love this. On to the next chapter :)
SeveRemus chapter 5 . 10/22/2010
Bravo! I have a list of common errors on my profile page, but I think you've just inspired me to create a "rant" essay of my own. It probably won't be as informative as yours, just a list of "DON'T!"s, but still.

Oh, and I found "less that perfect" in this chapter.
SeveRemus chapter 4 . 10/22/2010
Loving this so far, although I'm only skimming it!

A couple of things that I noticed, which I'm sure will make you groan:

"This mostly effects the ending of your book"

"If you think about read life"
Chatterchot chapter 5 . 10/21/2010
Wow, this (essay? story?) was incredibly helpful! Thank you for writing it, for reading this has inspired me to start writing again, and now I've even got the courage and confidence to post my work. I especially liked the section on punctuation, after reading it I realized I was putting way too many commas in my descriptions. The dialogue section was quite informative as well, I've always had trouble with action brakes in the middle of talking, but it's all clear now.

I loved reading this, and can I reference this in my profile on ? (I can think of a lot of people who should read this XD)
61 | Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »