Reviews for Why I Will Not Read Your Story
Susannn chapter 4 . 9/26/2009
Thanks you so much for this! It's extremely helpful!

Personally, I believe my writing sucks, but you're right of course, I shouldn't advertise that in my summary. I've learned quite a lot from this so, thanks again.

I know I have an annoying habit where I check the profile of a lot of my reviewers (not on fictionpress, but on fanfiction) and, I suggest you steer clear from my story. I dare say it won't meet your requirements, sadly. However, if you're willing to sit through something like mine, I really would appreciate a critique from you. You sound like you know what you're talking about with writing and it really would help me improve. However, I understand if you're unwilling to check mine; I'm rather new to the whole thing.

But, thanks you. I will be keeping this all in mind next time I post something.

Fern
pinkbelt chapter 1 . 9/9/2009
Hello,

You know, I read this all ages ago and have even started referring authors for and to it when they really need help writting.

Pinkbelt
you're sick chapter 1 . 8/27/2009
I completely agree with all the things you said, I just don't think I had the guts to say it. Ha-ha .Also, in some things, it helped me a lot. :)

Good, good, good.
Unlaced Rose chapter 4 . 8/14/2009
Again, wonderfully informative. Though I don't think I made any of the big mistakes you mentioned in this chapter in my current writing. *sigh of relief* You were right about the honest review things as well, scince the one about my grammar came up a few times on I've been trying to improve it so ty for that.

Please keep writing this, I'm eager to learn more.

Love always, Unlaced x
Spurlunk chapter 4 . 8/10/2009
Lots of the stuff in this chapter was stuff I already know, but a very well written, concise recap is always good to read. I would like your advice on pacing, and how to draw things out - I can write short stories up the wazoo but I have never managed to write a novel before. Balancing description/narration with action and dialogue is also something I think would be useful - I always want to get to the part where 'stuff happens' so I skimp on the description, and I don't know how to write it where it isn't boring.

Well written, I will be back to see what you cover next!
Mouse-A-Boo chapter 1 . 7/31/2009
I think that it's great that you want to help writers by putting up this essay, but I think that you will find that just because something may not have more reviews than chapters or a bad summary, does not mean that it is not a brilliant story. Part of revewing a story has to do with many different criteria, the title and summary just being a small part of it. So instead of deciding what to read by title, summaries and reviews, you should just open the stories up one at a time and see if the first 100 words grabs your attention. Whether you like a story or not is in the story itself and not the title and summary. I have only read the first chapter of your essay but I sincerely doubt that I will read further do to the fact that the first chapter did not grab my attention. It's not only that I don't agree with you, it's also that I find many parts of your writing particulary annoying. Mainly the overuse of words like lazy. People are not lazy when they write. Just the fact thsat they are taking the time to write a story for your enjoyment takes away from the entire idea of them being lazy. All it means is that they are not necessarily as accomplished at writing. With practice they will become better. In all honesty if you really like to give constructive critism, than these people that are obviously not as good at writing are the ones that need it the most. They need to know what they are doing wrong. When I say this I am talking about a one on one review and not an essay like you did. I would like to end this review off on the note that flames do not mean to not give costructive crtism, it means to not say unhelpful insults that tell you nothing about why you are being insulted, and I think it's fair to tell people that you are not interested in these type of reviews. Also if people are telling me that they want me to review it shows me that they care about my opinion and that they want to hear what I have to say.

That's about all my thoughts on this chapter of your essay. I think that you're a good writer but you need major work on the voice you use while writing. While I read your stories I hear this really know-it-all, snobby, rude voice that really annoys me.
Hotaru Gunso chapter 4 . 7/31/2009
Thank you so much again for writing this! I don't find good writing guides like this one that much online, so awesome for you! ;D
nenshoutora16 chapter 1 . 7/24/2009
It was intresting reading this essay because you had some very valid points in it, but i think some of the things your remarked on arn't bad. Some of my favorite writers have learning dissabilities and they will write that they know about their gramatical and spelling erors, so i can't agree with you on skipping a story for spelling errors ect. I do agree with yours statment on flaming. I think people could use criticism, so instead of saying don't flame they should ask for constructive criticisms, and just ask the readers not to bitch at them if they don't like the story. Over all i think this was a very good essay and i was glad that you hit a few problems i have with authors myself. I hope people take this lesson to heart.
butterflys love me chapter 2 . 6/22/2009
Thanks, this has helped with my understanding of quotation puncutation, and how to grab a reader into a story
Silver Spiced Coin chapter 1 . 6/18/2009
All very good points, but judging by review count comes awfully close to judging by color, clothes, hair style, shoe brand, music preference, is all judging by superficial characteristics. Judging by review count is doing just that. Passing this particular attitude on to new writers seems a bit, well, wrong. It might work well for you, in what find and gain by applying the rule you mention, but it is not by any means something that will work for everyone. New readers and writers may well miss a lot following your advice on picking stories to read based on review count.

That aside, a nice read. An informative read.
a thanks chapter 3 . 6/17/2009
It is very good to be getting advice for writing. Thank you for continuing to do so.
awilla the hun chapter 3 . 6/16/2009
I agree with the rest of it, too. ESPECIALLY grammar!
awilla the hun chapter 1 . 6/16/2009
I personally disagree with you about reviews: if it's a 12 chapter epic, say, and it has no reviews, then I feel sympathetic, give it a look through, and review it. This is especially the case if it involves the sort of thing that I might enjoy (swashbuckling adventure, mostly.) ((However, this usually goes sour when I ask for reviews in return.))

But I agree with most of what you're saying.
LittleLoser.AndRoloLamperouge chapter 3 . 6/16/2009
I really learned something.

-LittleLoser-
LittleLoser.AndRoloLamperouge chapter 2 . 6/16/2009
Better than my English class!

-LittleLoser-