Reviews for Esperanza
DelphicScorpion chapter 21 . 10/20/2009
“I didn’t know until the next day, when I woke up feeling a ghost in me, farted splooge and knew that someone had shot a wad up me.”

...Wow. I just... That sentence, right there... I don't know if it's the most AWESOME thing I've ever read, or maybe just really really funny. Farted splooge. There's just no better way to describe that. Wow. You are now officially my favorite person. XD Must praise.
Griezula chapter 22 . 10/7/2009
Hi, there! I'd like to start off this review by telling you that I found Esperanza through a slash recommendation community on livejournal, called the_slash_pile. That was way back when it was on Ch. 12. I added the story to my favorite website links so I could read it whenever I had free time. I only finished reading the story about a few weeks go, and now I have the opportunity to write a review! From the start, I was determined to give you as long a review as I possibly could, because you really, really deserve it.

I don't read a whole lot of sci-fi on fictionpress because I usually stick to the Romance and Young Adult sections, where it's very rare to find genre stories. But I do love sci-fi, and apocolypse/end-of-the-world/after-the-end type stories is one of its best subgenres, I think. (Reading Esperanza actually inspired me to get into gear on one my own sci-fis that has been running through my head for ages, so thanks!) Esperanza offered three things I love in one story, sci-fi, romantic intrigue, and slash. Why WOULDN'T I read it? :D

Your writing style is what pulled me in first. You can be very descriptive when necessary, but you can also be succinct and precise for emphasis, which is a rare find. You don't spend paragraph on paragraph showing us what the characters look like, you give us the basics, throw in the fine details, and let us roll with it.

The characters themselves are amazing. Tesla and Coyo are in turns endearing and strangle-worthy, but in the end, their relationship feels comfortable and well-developed, not at all rushed. They don't fall in love within five seconds of meeting each other! Huzzah, realism! Sean, Kevin, and all the other supporting characters are also as well-developed as they need to be, and all feel human. They're not shells. Even the female characters are amazing, another rare find. It seems a lot of writers on FP think that all women are screechy bitches. Haha.

I love the way you steadily developed the world of Esperanza, not too slow, not too fast. You don't even tell us the exact location of the city, you infer it with description of the land and its location near the Rio Grande. This emphasizes that world isn't what it used to be; adds a sense of separation from the Before. Very nice.

You give emotion to your characters very well. I FELT the distrust Tesla felt in confinement, I FELT Coyo's sense of loss and disorientation at the death of his child, I FELT everything they did. All of is was realistic and HUMAN.

I'm forgetting what else I wanted to say, so end here with the promise to read the other story you have up (historical slash? Why are so amazing?) and that delicious, delicious Esperanza one-shot I spy. Later! :)
Supa chapter 2 . 9/27/2009
I read The violet and the tom, and loved it. Already by chapter 2 of this story I'm sucked in. You truly have The Gift of writing.
sglily1 chapter 22 . 8/27/2009
I didn’t suspect that Coyo (and Tesla) had in mind something that began quickly to sound more and more permanent. I guess I was under the impression they would leave Esperanza for a length of time, then head “home”, taking up residence perhaps in Coyo’s abode – together. Never did I imagine something like what the two planned to undertake alone, but supported, out in the wilderness. Nothing is ever easy with these two, is it? ; )

This chapter also felt tense to me. It made me wonder how comfortable these two would be all by their lonesome… and would one want to become comfortable? Always wondering if a sound made in the middle of the night was an animal… or manmade… At least they felt comfortable around each other which I suppose was one of the main purposes of this exercise. One would have to be cautious at first, and given both their personal histories and experiences, who could blame them for being wary? However, it seemed that it was Coyo who exuded the most fear for drawing unwanted attention to them and their camp. Tesla seemed to fall back into the routine of being back in the Great Wide Open much easier with less stress involved.

With that being said, I had to sort of laugh when it was Coyo who initiated a rousing tousle in the hay – albeit a stifled one as far as sounds of encouragement and enjoyment were concerned. Wasn’t he the one who had told Tesla not now… to give him a few days to adjust? I guess Tesla is just that irresistible!

Nice ending to a wonderful story! Enjoyed the whole package immensely! I would definitely be interested in any kind of “shots” you had in mind concerning the characters found in Esperanza. And since the idea of sex is so open-minded in the world you have created, I wouldn’t be opposed to adding Kevin to the Tesla/Coyo mix. I think it could be fun (and hot!) without the drama.

Look forward to reading more of your works! I can’t thank you enough for sharing and keeping me well entertained…

sglily
Mewenn chapter 22 . 8/27/2009
I couldn't stop reading this one. I must admit that I am in awe that you could protray so well the raw need between Tesla and Coyo and their pride and need to survive above else. Tesla is a character just like I love them. Sharp witted from hard learned lessons, hard to themselves and desabused but still looking for happiness. And Coyo and his false strenght hidden behind coldness and biterness was also great. Some of the scenes with the two of them fighting for domination in the relationship were trully… well my brain is still trying to recover from turning to mush so many times (I mean that in a good way). Also I am so glad that those two came to an understanding.

Once again I must stay that I admire your still and its effectiveness. The harsh environment and the fear of the towns were very well portrayed. Tesla's misgiving about Esperanza's view of homosexuality was respected until the end and the character's personality as well. True to themselve to the point of almost loosing each other, No really it was great.

Thank you so much for this story. I would love to read another one from you (well… another one like this one at least, either you already or will soon have read my other review of the other story and then you'll know that I can't stomach humiliation and pain for too long, what can I say, I am a soft person at heart... or just have a weak stomach it is still to be discovered)
Mewenn chapter 5 . 8/25/2009
Okay I admit I cheated but this one really has to be the last for the night. Great story you have going on. Realy great story.
Mewenn chapter 4 . 8/25/2009
I wouldn't stop if it wasn't already midnight and I really really need the sleep. But really snif T_T I want to know more the story is just so well balanced and the characters have enough details that you understand how they work without feeling as if you have nothing more to learn about them.
Mewenn chapter 2 . 8/25/2009
The situatio is very bad but the story is so good and so realistic (yhea, no faith in human beings to keep an open mind in case of crisis, that's me). I'm so happy that I already have all the chapters and don't have to wait to read the next one.
Mewenn chapter 1 . 8/25/2009
Wow, first chapter and I'm already impressed with your style. It's really effective and you manage to convey so much without boring your readers. Really good. The atmosphere is set, in this first chapter we have all we need to want more. Good job, I wish I could write so well.
Night chapter 1 . 8/11/2009
Oh, wow, you wrote something new! I'm real excited, can't wait to read. Ahh... I forgot where your stories were, so I googled "The violet and the Tom" and I found this:

jam24.

~Night
frolic-horror chapter 22 . 8/4/2009
Very good story. Only thing that I have to complain about is that there wasn't more interaction between Tesla and Coyo. I wanted more of them, but on the other hand it just might be because I couldn't get enough of them - both of them were so interesting and lovely :)

I would encourage you to do some oneshots as an "after the story" and definitely one with a 3some with Kevin :D
Cedric Kale chapter 1 . 7/30/2009
i really like your writing style. it's very very good and unique. I haven't come across writing like urs. I like your character, Tesla Hope you develop him further.
methosdeb chapter 22 . 7/29/2009
loved it ,but I am sorry to see it end .I have really enjoyed this from start to finish .I wouldn't mind seeing a few ones offs or sequels to this. I agree with you about kevin too. He is just begging for a threesome .
Ravenmaster7 chapter 22 . 7/29/2009
i loved this story great ending, i hope you put an epiloge on itso we can see their return to esperanza
rose chapter 22 . 7/29/2009
Just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading this story and how much I'm going to miss it, I've been following it right from when you posted the first chapter, Im just a bit... lazy when it comes to reviewing. I think you wrapped it up nicely, I didn't feel like anything had been left unfinshed but the kevin oneshots sound like fun, I did feel a little sorry for him.
219 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 .. Last Next »