Reviews for Poem for Bea Arthur
Moondog Dozier chapter 1 . 5/12/2009
Excellent scene representation of a very interesting actress. I like how you've woven in what the reruns meant to you, and the scene in which you watched them helps the reader relate to that affect. There's something inherently American about this, which is excellent, because it represents so much of what we are drawn to. I remember being made fun of for watching the Golden Girls by my friends when it was on weekly, I guess young males wasn't the target audience, but the cast was so unique for that time period. Wonderful work. MD:77.
Isca chapter 1 . 5/7/2009
The speaker's voice is so heart-warming. The scene is realistic, warm, and rich. I loved the part about it being too hot to sleep upstairs. Good work. :)
in theory chapter 1 . 5/6/2009
I see a lot of the enjambment in your new work, it doesn't seem to be designated to any particular theme but it does lock the stanzas together in a more "free" way than rhyme would. This is sentimental but not sloppy, I guess a kind of fond memory? Never actually had much use for the word fond but it seems to fit here.

I loved the "voice/saunters in, lovely, authoritative, masucline with a hint of honey."

Jack
Twysted Vanilla chapter 1 . 5/6/2009
oh my goodness I didn't even know! That's so sad. This poem does her justice. I like your use of enjambments :)
amavian chapter 1 . 5/6/2009
you give a lot of detail in regards to the setting and i can see the scene that you mean to set. i think, though, that your delivery was lacking, not much at the end. there was all this build up, than nothing at all.