Reviews for Privacy
Annie Dot chapter 1 . 5/29/2012
We do this at my school, and it is used in every school in my county. I find that it works better than what we used to have (photo IDs), but I understand what you mean.

It does make me think though. When you transfer from one school to another within the county, you do not have to have new fingerprints taken. Our old school just sends it over to our new school.
Der Adler Des Mondes chapter 1 . 3/26/2011
Wow this is shocking on so many levels.

I agree with you on all points, and there is an old adage here of which not only Americans but Greeks seem to fail to obey.

"Give them an inch, and they'll take an ell" (Give them an inch/cm and they will take a foot/meter)

By simply allowing the school to be the third party over the law, and to trample over your rights (I am not very familiar with British law unfortunately) you are allowing for more harsher privacy breaching.

I would be furious if my school implemented it. In fact I would rather starve than submit to this. I would just skip lunch or bring my own. They can't make me eat lunch after all?

If they suspend me for it, I will take them to court. It is a public right that every student be educated (at least in the US).'

Anyhow... phew...

Great essay :)
Bailey Zayac chapter 1 . 8/13/2009
I can't believe that they're fingerprinting you! Whats the point?
vermillion-sunsets chapter 1 . 5/25/2009
Hi Jane,

Good for you! :)

You raise a bunch of valid points (if, from my point of view, slightly far fetched). My advice is: Boycott the cashless system! Bring food from home or just don't eat lunch. If you can get enough people to join you, then you might be noticed.

Cheers,

Vermillion Horizons -

Ridding the world of idiocy one idiot at a time.
Caz251 chapter 1 . 5/25/2009
We had a cashles system, but it was photo id type thing in the form of the one card thing. You should be able to completely refuse to be involved with the system on the basis that it can be seen as an invasion of privacy. I think whatever school you attend is taking it too far using fingerprint identification.

Caz251
Bela Valentine chapter 1 . 5/22/2009
I think this is really ridiculous, and I'm not sure I'm the only one. A lot of people will be taken in by the fact that, hey, its something out of Mission Impossible. But you bring up a lot of good points. Maybe you could find bunch of people that share the same opinion that go to your school and get up a petition? That might actually get your headmaster to listen to you.
CosmicalMadison chapter 1 . 5/19/2009
As others have said, this needs some revising but is a great start. I wouldn't have thought of half these problems if it were my school. It's scary to think about how something that seems so simple could be abused like this!
Pig In A Dollhouse chapter 1 . 5/19/2009
Some good points, requires some minor editing.

Interesting arguments, with the introduction of some other points that show the other side of the argument, could make a good discursive writing piece!

Interesting read!

(I was previously unaware of these plans with regards to fingerprinting. Quite an alarming idea.)
teppygirl chapter 1 . 5/19/2009
Jane, will you at least do SOME revision?