Reviews for Medea in the form of Amanda Jo StottSmith
tonight we bloom chapter 1 . 7/5/2009
Your work AMAZES me, as I have said at least 5 times now. But in all honesty, everytime I read another piece you have written, my jaw drops a little lower.

This is pure brilliance.

Your writing will definitely get you somewhere in life, I'm sure of it.

You have the best sense of word choice and metaphors and I don't know how else to say that you are just extremely, utterly talented!
MargaretGraves chapter 1 . 6/21/2009
All I can say is "wow"- all of your work is beautiful, but I think this might be my favorite. It almost reminds me of a few of Sylvia Plath's later poems.
Honestcat chapter 1 . 5/25/2009
This poem was haunting, and the wording very startling. You chose calming and soothing words and twisted them into something dark. They were mixed with dark imagery and action, which makes this poem unsettling and successful.

I think the only failing here was the word "unusual" in the second to last stanza, last line. It felt unspecific when placed with the rest of the poem. It is a minor thing, but it doesn't feel like the right word.

Out of all of it, my favorite part by far is the title. It really wrapped up the whole poem into a nice neat package that made the whole thing that much more worthwhile.

Honest.
Isca chapter 1 . 5/25/2009
I like that you alluded to the myths regarding Jason and Medea. I found the woman in this poem the most interesting when I applied Medea's characteristic of 'enchantress' on her-which then suggested that she began to hate the children because she wanted to seek revenge on Jason for his betrayal. I think this poem is best understoond when compared to Eurpides' tragedy, "Medea." This allusion adds such depth to the piece and enhances the act of filicide tremendously. Nice work. :)
Ayx chapter 1 . 5/25/2009
I love how each stanza had something visual to offer. And, the connection between nature and human existence was brilliant.