Reviews for The Things I Learned In Fiction Class
NoAccount-Deleted chapter 1 . 1/13/2010
This is a great post! I certainly learned something from it. I enrolled in a creative writing class, and a fiction writing class, a few years back, and I can't recall any "lessons" of this nature, nor were any of the lessons taught with such clarity (and illustrations)as this article. Keep sharing. It will definitely help me to improve my writing. I appreciate your unselfishness. :) Will you review my post, JUMP TO IT? I'd really like your honest opinion. Thanx.
squashedcupcake chapter 4 . 1/9/2010
I absolutely love it! Favorite!
Bittersweet Dreamer chapter 4 . 11/12/2009
good point again.

great work

i will be checking in, otherwiswe keep up the good work
Bittersweet Dreamer chapter 3 . 11/12/2009
good point
Bittersweet Dreamer chapter 2 . 11/12/2009
i like it.
Bittersweet Dreamer chapter 1 . 11/12/2009
good
Klamisid chapter 4 . 9/6/2009
Thanks for the tips!
Mistval chapter 4 . 8/20/2009
Hey, thanks for posting these. I enjoyed them and, unlike a couple of people, I'm glad that you kept them lean as the cornish hen at last night's festival (is that a good one? :D ). Lots of great nutrients to be had with only a little bit of chewing involved (that one's a tad overdone, huh?).

The only thing that I don't completely agree with is your suggestion not to change your world. It's difficult to do, but completely surprising your reader in a positive way is definitely possible.
eaststar chapter 4 . 8/19/2009
I like how you used humor to convey some useful info. The funnest essay I've ever read (though that's not saying much :))
Miss-You-Too chapter 4 . 8/15/2009
I really enjoyed this! Please update soon!
snicker-n-snark chapter 4 . 8/5/2009
I really like that you put this up. It's very helpful and I enjoyed reading it. Thank you!

Please post more!

-Sam
LookAMinotaur chapter 4 . 7/29/2009
This is very helpful, as I'm taking a writing club, but we don't do much writing. It's mainly the three 8th graders gossiping and, Amy and I, a couple of 11 year olds giving each other looks.

So if someone has a question I'll definatly point them straight to this webpage! Do you have any tips on making your characters... unique? I'm a die-hard writer and reader so I'm a bit stuck in my ways. No matter how hard I try I simply end up either 1) Making them too unique to the point where I try too hard, 2) Making them a crazy morphed form of a TV/Book/Cartoon/ect... Character, 3) Geting so frustrated I give up.

Also, when I compare my writing to theirs, I seem a little plain.

I've only written Fanfiction

while some others are very accomplished,

(I.E: 8th grader Ally, is publishing a book, 11 year old Amy has written 14 or 15 or 16 books...ect..)

Do you think you could add some tips in there about that too?

Thanks a Ton,

XxElizabeth
Written chapter 1 . 7/28/2009
thanks for posting these! i know I read at least one of them on LJ, but yeah, I finally remembered that you put them up here :) added them to my community archive, hope you don't mind.

love this first piece; it's brief and to the point; perfect. will read more later. always love learning, especially from an author i admire :) thanks.
TymCon chapter 4 . 5/31/2009
That is actually true. Actually it eas really helpful. I dont really use similes but im goinna start making my own now:P J.K rowling really does do some good ones though. The seventh book was best...Except the villian in that did kinda lack a brain cell.
TymCon chapter 2 . 5/31/2009