Reviews for Is Imitation the Sincerest Form of Flattery?
Dramatic Irony chapter 1 . 7/16/2009
This essay was very informative and serves its purpose well. I agree completely with the points made. Although I am new to FictionPress and have not actually seen or experienced the plagiarism that is mentioned here, I have read the profiles of a few plagiarized authors. It's a simple, clear reminder that when writers publish their work on the Internet, in the newspaper, the media, or in a book from the store, they are voluntarily putting their work on display for others to read, learn from, and enjoy. Writers have no legal or moral "obligation" of any sort to share their work, and plagiarism shows a blatant disregard for the effort put into writing. Again, good job on the essay.
rottinginheaven chapter 1 . 6/12/2009
Wow...there's lots of things that I didn't know about copyrights. Now that I've read this, I'll know what to do if I see anyone trying to plagiarise others' work and scare them to bits! Nevertheless, such problems are also prevalent in many areas, such as in college, and not just in fictionpress or in any other fiction-sharing sites. That's why we have softwares to catch plagiarisers. If only we could have something similar to catch those who copy stories and try to pose them as their own.
J.E.Wyatt chapter 1 . 6/8/2009
Amazing piece of work. I wish I had known this earlier. That way I could have referred to this article to scare of the person who ended up plagiarizing my work and posting it up on a fan site for Westlife (it was immediately removed when the administrator learned of this). Anyway, I'm relieved to read your story. We FP writers aren't so helpless after all.

Best wishes,

J.

P.S. I'm following your LJ site. I would comment, but I'm a WordPress-er, and your open ID thing is off. So, even if I don't comment, know in your mind that I am always cheering you on for the great job you're doing. I mean.. FINALLY someone has stepped up to do something about this!
Chaun chapter 1 . 6/8/2009
It's great that there are people like you informing us about Copyright Infringement. It's sad that the best writers on FictionPress have to remove their work. The worst thing is its happening so often and people are getting away with it.

I'm putting the link to this on my profile, if thats OK with you. I joined your LJ community too, and now I'm on the look out for other people's work.

chauntee
LittleLoser.AndRoloLamperouge chapter 1 . 6/7/2009
...That was a very well written and very informative essay/article.

Also, plagiarizing or copyright infringement is definitely a disease in this site and other fiction-sharing sites that needs immediate action.

-LittleLoser-
Lilly Wattenberg chapter 1 . 6/7/2009
Everything sucks. That's all I can say. I know how it feels to be stolen from, not my work on FP but none the less I was stolen from. It disappoints me that I don't feel like updating because I might be giving someone else their next chapter to post. I also hate that I can't go back and read old favorites.
aiur chapter 1 . 6/7/2009
thank you for posting this. THANK YOU. really, really well done.

is it alright if i LJ-link to this? this needs to be read by as many people as possible.

-kait
Ravina chapter 1 . 6/7/2009
I was waiting for this piece (after our PM conversations) and I must say I'm not disappointed!

This is very well-written and, more importantly, INFORMATIVE. I'm going to link to this piece from my LJ account (the link is on my profile homepage). Note: I'm linking, not posting it.

Oh, and I loved the explanation you gave for how an author feels after being plagiarized (the paragraph starting "a final misconception") and also the car comparison.

I hope this piece hits close to home (and scares plagiarizers off with the consequences). By the way, I read on some website (about US copyright laws) that the penalty could include up to a year in jail. I'm not sure of the accuracy of that, and I can't remember the website.

Great job!

- Rebekah
Amused Bookworm chapter 1 . 6/7/2009
It pains me to see that there are people out there that have done this kind of thing but having a well thought out reference to what authors have as far as rights makes it a little more comforting. I will say that I have had copyright infringement happen to me but it was not online, it was with in a school setting and it hurt quite a bit, it was a close friend that used one of my works as her own for an English class, our friendship did not last after that. I would like to link to this on my own page here on ficpress, and possibly other sites, a list of which I would have to think about and then relay to you, of course with your permission. Thank you for bringing, to this reader and writer, things that are happening in the world, and in a world that has been dear to me for so many years. I am looking forward to the next chapter of Surviving, but I believe that if it pains you take a break until it only causes you a little bit of sleep loss and some joy. -A.B.-
incognitus chapter 1 . 6/7/2009
Finally the first sensible and comprehensible plagiarism/copyright essay I've read on FP. Kudos to you for writing it, and I'm really glad someone like you has taken the time and effort to do research and write an educational article. I really appreciate it very much. )

That being said, is it ok if I post a link to this essay on my LJ? I'll keep it a friends-only entry (all my friends are writers who've decided to leave FP because of this issue), and I think it'll be a helpful read for the countless number of FP fans/readers lurking around LJ nowadays.
Serenity Marie chapter 1 . 6/7/2009
"It has come to the point I am scared when I receive an alert from a story that it will be yet another story that is being removed from the site due to the increase in plagiarism"

Oh goodness, I know. I want to say thank you for posting this so people people who are ignorant...and maybe to knock some sense into the people who know it's wrong, know they are hurting both writers and readers and yet continue to blatantly rip off good authors and good stories.

I am almost afraid to start reading stories here...who knows how long it will be before the plagiarism gets so bad that every good author starts going down?

And I am glad you have not had the problems other truly great authors on this site have been having.

So, Thank you.