Reviews for Give Me Gills
Kate Marshall chapter 1 . 6/29/2009
The more I read this, the more I like it. I like the sense of loss, how the "tiny silver fish" slipped out of the speaker's hands. It's just like how the things we really want always seem to slip out of our grasp. Then the ending doesn't specify what happens; I like how we can come to our own conclusions for the poem. Does the speaker drown in her loss or does she find it again?

"Give me gills." That was my favorite line. It says a lot about whether or not she is satisfied with where she is (as a person, in life, ect.) Just like how the fish and the bird fell in love? I just really liked the mention of... wanting to be something different, something else.

Wonderful. :D
Isca chapter 1 . 6/25/2009
Good metaphor. The things we hold onto the most often slip away from us. Sometimes we work hard towards something and end up never reaching our goal. Life truly is unfair sometimes. The line, "give me gills," was absolutely phenomenal-it reminded me of the tale about a bird and a fish who loved each other. The ending is very powerful, and leaves much room for interpretation, as the reader is left to wonder whether the speaker will drown in her failures or not. Keep up the good work. :)
girl like cheshire chapter 1 . 6/24/2009
"Slips from my hands

that tiny silver fish I’ve spent years trying to catch."

maybe you only meant it as that, but god, i hope not. it's coming off ten shades of brilliant metaphor.

(which, when paired with the ultimatum (give me gils) and the diving in after it, damn!)

perfect summer starter.