Reviews for Maybe
x Storm x chapter 20 . 1/2/2010
It's funny (in a not so funny way), but I can relate to your character so much in this chapter. The part about being so secretive, and the family being so annoyed by it. And the way they don't understand, how they think she's just wasting her time on the computer. How she can't tell them that she isn't just chatting with her friends all the time, she's writing. This part of her life is hidden from everyone (correct me if I'm wrong here) and it's hurting them, and hurting her - yet, even though the need to write is anchored deep within her, there's a part of her that's ashamed of her... incompetence, I guess, because she feels she's not good enough of a writer to actually share this part of her life to her relatives. I mean, maybe I'm just projecting my own anxieties on Ella, here, but that's how I imagine her to feel. This conversation with her mum - I can relate so much, really (except for the Wall Street Journal thing), it's kind of scary.

Okay, I'll try to write a good review, now. I actually don't mind to read about Bryant. His and Ella's conversations are funny, in an awkward way. I love how she thanks him twice for the numbers - like it gives her an excuse to talk to him. And you know, at chapter 20, it's nice to actually get to know Bryant better. As we only ever see/read about him though her eyes... we know next to nothing about him, except what's public knowledge, you know? And their discussion about art and love, I like that. (And by the way, I'm actually getting used to this chatspeak, it's not so bad after a while. Guess I was just a bit put off in the beginning, but now I understand why and, well, I don't hate it.) So... Bryant is an artist, which is cool. And he's not a womanizer. Good point for you! So many people in the romance section are automatically associating "popular" or "jock" with "total womanizer". I mean, who *really* knows a 16 or 17-year-old guy who's slept with over ten, sometimes twenty girls? That's just unrealistic. I'm, I guess, guilty of using this cliché (to some extent), but it's still just that: an unrealistic cliché. So, I'm happy to see that Bryant is, well, normal (and I mean this in the nicest way possible).

As for Ella's time with her friends... damn. Sorry, but her friends suck sometimes. Shina and Jess are not on my top list of favourite characters. I mean, they're her friends, but they can be quite bitch, making her feel inadequate in ways friends should never make you feel (I know, inadequacy seems to be something I like to talk about, but it's the feeling I get from this chapter). They're friends, but they're... not so close. Not "best friends", yet they're all she has. Same goes with Rick. Unrequited love can break friendships, and I feel for her. You can't just decide who you like, it just happens.

One thing, though: when they're talking about the numbers and the spanish quiz, the two last lines are in bold letters... and I don't think that's intentional. But that's about it, I liked the chapter overall. Not too much Bryant, obviously, because I actually want to get to know the guy. And it's true that the scenes are a bit "awkwardly thrown together", as you put it. However, it's perfect that way. Life is a bunch of awkward scenes thrown together, isn't it? Nothing ever goes according to plan, nothing ever follows a straight line.

Lastly, about this freeway thing - I'm probably totally incorrect, but I have the feeling it represents life, and the future. How she's fine with staying in the backseat while her parents are in front of her, protecting her, taking charge (ie. like she said, they're driving and she's just following them). I mean, a freeway can be somewhat lonely. No stores, no one close, it's just... a long, straight line with nothing about it. It's kind of depressing. So yeah, that's my interpretation. But I'm awful with symbolism, so... yeah.

By the way, happy New Year! Best wishes for 2010!
Smiling Serenade chapter 20 . 1/2/2010
Yay, double reviewing again! :D

Okay, I actually meant to say that I attempted NaNo this past year, not this month, haha.

But anyways, my real reason is to say, in rereading this chapter, I saw that Ella thanks Bryant for the Chemistry numbers. I'm not sure if this is intentional ... but I don't Ella's actually told him who she is, yet. Doesn't this give her away? Uh, yeah, I just thought I'd point that out. :)

Also, I did the exact thing New Year's Eve. I stayed up and all, but I didn't even realise that it was a new year till around 12:30. When I finally looked up from whatever fanfic I was reading, hehe. :) Anyways, Happy New Year!
Scared Loveless chapter 20 . 1/2/2010
Let's see. My dream job? I'm really not sure. I just want to love my job no matter what I do. I plan to be a physicist, but I don't know if that is my dream job. I love so many things it's hard to find a career that emcompasses them all. I have a whole bucket list of things I want to complete in my lifetime but for me the most meaningful would be to simply make a positive impact on at least one person's life. One person who will always remember me is all that matters. I can't save the world, but I can save one person. That's what I want to do. To me the freeway stood for life. I didn't really make a New Year's resolution and never realized it until now.

I liked the Bryant time, I felt like we were getting to know him as she did. But it feels like their conversations end abruptly, every time. I don't know how to help you add flow to your story, It doesn't seem to bad to me, just their conversations. But now my comuter is spazing out so, bye. Can't wait to read more.
Quit Being So Technical chapter 20 . 1/2/2010
I loved this chapter. I really did. And I actually like how you're showing that they're getting to know each other. :3

Okay. Questions...

1. What's your dream job?

Like Bryant. I've really considered in taking up art. Graphic Design... My father keeps telling me I should think of a job choice that gives you money, because being an artist won't get me anywhere. *le sigh* It's saddening, but I know it's sort of true. But I still want to study it so badly.

2. What are some things you want to accomplish within your lifetime?

I want to write at least one story, I want to try to write a manga, and I want to get better at drawing.

3. Did anyone understand what the freeway stood for?

... It stands for something? :/ *is slow* XD

4. New Year's Resolutions.

... Nah...

Oh, ho, ho! Nice to know I wasn't the only party animal out there, reading their butts off all night~

At 11:59 I just counted down the seconds, when I saw it was twelve I wished my friends a Happy New Year, then the first thing I said ever was...

*dad comes in room* "Happy New Year, Sweetie!"

*staring at computer screan* "Must read more..." ... "Eh? What?"

Lol. x3

WOO. long review. :3
Imminent Paradox chapter 20 . 1/2/2010
Hey! :)

I really like this chapter! A definite Bryant overload, yeah, but I like it because we get to know him a little better. I like him more already :) He's an interesting character, especially now that we really get to hear what he has to say.

I can actually really relate to Ella's family issues (though less recently.) It's kind of a sad thing, isn't it? But I think everyone has something like that that they're so passionate about that they sort of start to neglect the people they love because they're afraid that they'll take it away from them or something along those lines. Haha, is that a fictionpress she has? :D

Hm... Well, my dream is writing (if that isn't obvious enough XD) I want to be an author, but I don't honestly think that that's going to happen. But then when I try and think about the "fall-back" jobs I want (my parents are also trying to get me to go into business, like they did), I can't think of anything I'd actually WANT to do. I thought about psychology for a while, but I don't know. It's almost funny that you asked this question now- lately, everyone's been asking me what I plan to do with my life, and I just have to make stuff up to keep them satisfied XD

Hm... something I want to accomplish in my lifetime? I want to write a book and play in a band, and open my own little cafe type thing, and travel around the world without any real destination like my grandma loved to do when she was younger, but other than all of that "dreamer's stuff", I don't have much that I really want to accomplish. What about you?

And I honestly have no clue what the freeway means right now. I'd guess... but I'm guessing I'd be WAY off :)

Now, if the PM isn't long enough already, I'll answer your last question. :) I honestly haven't thought of many New Year's Resolutions. I guess I try not to set many goals for myself because I always feel limited or some crazy thing like that. One of my friends always tells me that I'm too "free-spirited and go-with-the-flow" for that kind of thing, and maybe she's right. I just don't know what I want to do with this year. Who knows *shrugs* What about you? Do you have any?

Wow, sounds like you really partied yourself out on new years! :) Haha, sorry this is so long. I'm secretly trying to procrastinate cleaning.

Anyway, great chapter! Can't wait to read more!
Narq chapter 20 . 1/2/2010
intense rape though - LOL! that was a fabulous, wonderful bit. I loved the "sry typo" and then "FAIL!" haha! That was just wonderful!

I think I've never kissed so far in my teenage life too! (family doesn't count!)

Overall, really lovely chapter and I think you did wonderfully on it! But no, I think this was good for Bryant. It was actually okay and I 'did' realise that they were getting to know each other.

Narq.

PEACE!
Lauren chapter 17 . 1/2/2010
I would say "were you taking that question in the way everyone else does then i am Lauren but im guessing you already know that, but if you ask that and have a differnt meaning then I can not give you the words to describe my self so you have to come get them"
cityskyline at your fingertips chapter 20 . 1/2/2010
Wow. I can't even describe how amazing your writing is. I read this and thought, "If I only had half the talent that you have then I would be happy." I really love your style and this story and the way I relate to certain things but am confused about others. Ah, I rambling. Long story short: I love it.
Lauren chapter 16 . 1/2/2010
I think it means homecoming grade 10 gosh i dont know
IHateMyLoveLife chapter 20 . 1/2/2010
I'm not bored. The questions are just cool.

New Years resolution is to get down all of my forms for Tae Kwon Do (there's like 20 of them and I have to be able to do them in my sleep) and I think that's the big one.

Dream job? To write for a living and own my own bookstore.

On a freeway, everyone is in their own car and on their own. You can get lost in the sea of cars, all going nowhere, and right at that moment they are right here, their moment in time together. They're all lost together, but seperated. And at night on the freeway (at least I think I'm thinking on the same page) you're the only car in the darkness, surrounding by trees or absolutely nothing, and you feel like you're the only person (or people in the car).

The thing that I would love most to acomplish in my lifetime would be to finish writing every story that I've started. Publish at least one of them. See all my favorite bands in concert (well not blessthefall, Family Force 5, or Chiodos).

Bryant seems slightly awkward, but if you think about most guys probably are. People are awkward, and you don't normally see that displayed in a story. Well, you get the occasional episode of a person asking to kiss another thing.

So was the last part about Rick? Or was it just general scene?

I think the way it's laid out shows awkward conversations and pieces of her life and then you have the pieces of her 'deep' thoughts where she's this person that feels alone and almost too grown up. It feels as if she wants to be a kid again. And yet she still is the 'kid' of her group of friends, because she is the naive girl that hasn't experienced much.

I'm going to drool over some Converse now.
Lauren chapter 15 . 1/2/2010
If i could be any character it would be well actually there isnt one that i wou;d want to be but my favorite word is either epic or damn hehe i just love the word damn
Lauren chapter 14 . 1/2/2010
I WANNA GO EVERY WHERE honset my goal is to take a year off after i get out of college (in 8 years ha) like i said im only 14
lauren chapter 13 . 1/2/2010
love is an emotion silly hehe

well in my opinion love is something we trick ourselfs into feeling untill it becomes true now when you start doing the trickingyou better be open to the possibilty of heartbreak
sophiesix chapter 20 . 1/2/2010
ok, so first, i'm a bit confused as to whether she's talking to bryant as herself or as as teh stalker, or did she admit she was the stalker or... did i miss something?

and ah! love teh conversations with her family, sounds very much what I get here too. "Why do you spend so much time on the computer? You're addicted." and what can i do but agree? but surely there are some addictions that are better than others (lol, sounds like a serious addict talking here).

but best for me was the para with "But I also want to write about less-pretty things like dusty cars and chapped lips and pessimism that tastes like copper pennies. " oh so goddam painfully wonderfully beautiful :O

was the highway like... life or something (lol sounding cheesy, sorry), as in her journey was dark and all the pilgrims lost but seh needed to believe her father say he knew where they were going?

aw, and the bit with jess and shina was so perfect sad. you feel so stupid for crying, because its nothing, but at the same time...

hmm, dream jobs, theres an issue there because i know (or i have to believe) that dream jobs exist only in teh mind, because no job would really be so perfect. i met a lady once who worked six months as a zoo vet and 6 months doing dvlpment work overseas, working with siberian tigers and so stuff. almost died of useless, hopeless jealousy on the spot. but in reality, how would that fit with family, and i bet it would be an arse to organise and... yeah, :nods to convince herself. nods and nods and nods: Besides which, its so hard to get into zoo vet. a friend did, but burnt out and got incredibly depressed and ended up comitting suicide, so i'm a bit wary of going down that path. If she couldn't hack it, what makes me think that i can? on teh other hand, what job would be as satisfying... ok, so a real job, because realistically getting paid to read and review fictionpress just ain;t ever going to hapen XD
Lauren chapter 11 . 1/2/2010
of cousre you can but i guess it depends on what you mean by hardly know because you can talk to someone everyday fpr years and still hardley know them (Im one of those people that is talked to for years and is hardley known even though so many claim they are my closest friends so many step up to the challange and they have all failed even though they dont know it and i dont show it like i said i have trust issues everyone is at a safe distance away arms lenghth to be exact)
799 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 .. Last Next »