Reviews for 40 word epic
Dragon made me do it chapter 1 . 6/3/2011
I think you did a fantastic job of distilling your story into so few words.

I am trying to resist the urge to whine about my confusion as to how a journey on a horse started at the Ocean. Was the horse on a ship? Was it just hanging out at the beach? For that matter, how do you measure the start of any journey? maybe the years we spend sitting around doing nothing are just a rest stop, and the journey starts at birth.

I think my review is now five times as long as your story!
C. Tattiana H-H chapter 1 . 11/27/2010
Wow, Sophie. This is a really neat piece. I’m guessing he’s in the middle of a journey and he’s stopped to reflect/see how much further he has to go? Or has he finished his journey and he’s heading to its end, like a resting place. Hmm. Even if I’m totally off the mark, I really liked this. I like how you’ve given the reader so much to think about in so few words. I especially like the image of him looking forward “to its end” and back from where he had started. I thought your phrasing was brilliant and beautiful, as well. Neat short epic (ha-ha) you have here. :D

Review courtesy of The Review Game’s Review Marathon. For more info, visit the link on my profile.
YasuRan chapter 1 . 9/3/2010
Yep, I get how the imagery fits
simpleplan13 chapter 1 . 9/3/2010
I like this. It's a great little snippet of a long journey and it makes mention of both the past and the future. It's a lot for such few words. I also like how while he can see it's end, the reader can't so we can imagine it however we like. The only thing is in that last line the "forward, too, to" seemed repetitive with the too and to. Kinda awkward when I read it. But still, really great job!

PS The Review Game's Review Marathon is this weekend and we really need participants! (Link in my profile)
AvidWriter-92 chapter 1 . 6/6/2010
Hey, sophie. :)

I think that this was really neat... I don't think I'd do very well trying to describe something in 40 words. :P Is it a hard thing to do? :P

The only thing that I would change is:

Change the word "too," to "also." The two too/to words are confusing next to each other... :P

Great job at creating a world in such few words!

Avid. :) GF.
eiyuang999 chapter 1 . 5/23/2010
Discount Nike Air Max 2005 Shop ( )

Discount Nike Air Max 2006 Shoes Shop ( )

Discount Nike Air Max 360 Catalogs ( )

Discount Nike Air Max Ltd Shoes Catalogs ( )

Discount Nike Air Max Tn Men's Shoes ( )

Discount Nike Air Max Tn 2 Women's Shoes ( )

Discount Nike Air Max Tn 3 Customize ( )

Discount Nike Air Max Tn 4 Shoes Customize

( )
wo bu ai ni le chapter 1 . 5/23/2010
A great blend of past present and future, this piece really has a cinematic feel to it, well done :)
Punslinger chapter 1 . 4/16/2010
Hard to tell if the subject of the first sentence is the rider or horse. You handled an interesting concept well, although I'm not sure it is an epic as we aren't told what challenges he overcame in his journey.

(How is that for a 40-word critique?)
lookingwest chapter 1 . 12/18/2009
Oh what a cool concept, I've never heard of doing this before! Loved it, there was a very powerful image in this because of the way that you mentioned the journey, and the way that he looked back was also valuable to making it "epic". I also basically just enjoyed the entire concept of this too, so I liked it because I'd never read anything like it and because it seems very original. The last line "And forward, too, to its end" was a little awkward for me, but re-reading it a few times helped smooth it out. Kind of along the lines of the six-word memoir...but better, because it's EPIC. :D

check out the review marathon (link in profile)
Tekla chapter 1 . 11/28/2009
So... I counted and I got 38 words. I feel oddly betrayed. XD then again, I suppose if the hypened word counted as one, and you counted the title, then *that's* fourty, but...

/ramble

regardless, way to go with the word count! writing something that's short is much more difficult than a never-ending word limit. nicely done -

I liked how, even though there are only 38 words (or 40, depending on how you count) you created a picture. It was clear enough to see (without all those sticky adverbs XD ) and it was refreshing. way to go. ]

I really liked the word choice in here, too. the fact that his saddle (I'm assuming? XD ) is well-worn means his journey has not been an easy one, but it's been fulfilling. all that in one word! very nice. ]

[..where his journey had commenced. And forward, too, to its end.] that's really powerful stuff. I like how you left it open so the reader could create some of their own "epic" to insert in it.

congrats again, for WCC! good luck next month, if you participate ]

Sheriff
Suhpheeah chapter 1 . 8/9/2009
Hi

This one made me smile. I actually laughed when I finished reading because I thought it would be an impossible task to achieve, yet this IS a 40 word epic. Congratulations D

-Suhpheeah
Safa Khan chapter 1 . 8/4/2009
My gosh! That's quite epic - it made me picture a whole landscape and it opens up this whole world of possibilities!

That's wicked! Great job!

- I don't think I could write aanything decent in that few words! XD
Frayling0 chapter 1 . 7/21/2009
Sorry, just had to take a look at it. I have to say wow, I never thought it could be done...Although it's only 3 sentences it is somehow poignant and I can picture the scene. Great work Sophie! I'll review more FD later, or tomorow latest, promise! Luke
dEadISthe.n.e.wALIVE chapter 1 . 7/18/2009
Only one word to describe it: Brilliant...

Or epic, but that would be redundant.
Said Author chapter 1 . 7/1/2009
I love short "epics"! This was great, I liked the way you ended it. FWC? What does that mean?