Reviews for Letters
NVR chapter 1 . 1/26/2011
Wow! I can tell that this is going to be a VERY, VERY great story.

First impressions: It's very well thought out. I think you knoq the plot and you have planned it very well.

I love the way you put all the history why they are leaving in a letter. It is VERY clever. It tells the reader why they are leaving, but in a not to obvious way. You also explain Emily's feels about leaving in the letter, so the whole concept really works.

I was so ingrossed into the chapter, that I didn't see any spelling mistakes or grammar issues, so I can't wait to read som more! Moving on to the next chapter!

NVR *1/2 Repayed
Kobra Kid chapter 7 . 1/26/2011
I really love Sammy! She's the perfect best friend for Emily, and I could feel their connection with each other through the e-mail. It reminds me of me and my best friend, Alyse, so much! The sad thing? Alyse is moving to Kentucky, so I probably will have to write a similar e-mail to her soon enough. Well...without the drinking father part and all...

ANYWAYS

Aaron really is changing. He stopped drinking. He isn't sleeping. And he said that he stopped his alcoholism for them. God, that's gotta be hard on him. I can just imagine him sitting in the darkness of his room, staring at nothing but the wall for hours on end. Now, I'm starting to like him. I mean, not the old him, but the changed Aaron. Everyone changes, and he has drastically.

Great job as usual! :D

Kobra Kid

P.S. Can you payback these reviews via Rise From The Ashes? Thanks! :)
Kobra Kid chapter 6 . 1/26/2011
Yes! We finally hear from Aaron and Cassie! Okay, my views on Aaron are neutral right now. The bad side of him? He's always drinking, and would take out all of his drunk rage onto Sharon, Emily and Ethan. They had no place to go to call 'home', besides Cassie's house. He didn't care for Ethan back then, and from his e-mail, he doesn't care about him now. The good side of him? There's only one thing, really. He regrets that they left, and is pleading with Cassie and Delilah to make sure they're safe. Hopefully, he'll change and become a better man. As for Cassie? I already love her. She's trustworthy, loyal, and seems to be a very nice woman. However, she did screw up and tell Aaron that his family is staying with Delilah. Oh well, everyone has their flaws...

Kobra Kid chapter 5 . 1/26/2011
I really like Ethan's character. Him and Emily seem to be opposites. He's a great addition to the plot! For one, I already know what his deal is. He has to act all tough and invincible to keep himself together, because on the inside he's crying, right? He needs to be tough, he has to be, that's his mentality. Right? :0 Haha, anyways, I really enjoyed this! I wonder who this Mark guy is, and whether or not he really IS Ethan's biological father. That would be quite the twist. Oh, and what's so special about this Aunt? Why does Ethan and Emily always go to her to talk? Actually, probably because that's the only family member they cant trust...

Kobra Kid chapter 4 . 1/24/2011
Once again, you deal with emotions so well. That's what makes your writing so great! You really know the psychology of your characters, and what makes them who they are!

Emily is probably my favorite, so far. I have a really good feeling that I'll like Ethan more, though. I dunno, I just think that. I just hope that he isn't like his father, but I doubt that he is. Unless you're tricking me! D: Haha, anyways, what made this chapter was that letter from Megan.

OH MAH GAWD!

That letter Megan wrote made me both laugh, and wanna slap the girl. Seriously, no one moves to another state because of a guy you sorta-not really like. The sad thing is that here are people out there that are that...how should I put it? Not-the-brightest-crayon-in-the-box? Yeah, that fits I guess.

Anyways, I hope that we get to meet Delilah soon. I don't seem to trust her as well. I mean, one second she can't forgive Sharon for what she did, and the next she offers her a free house? Something must have happened between her and Sharon, and I hope that is explained soon!

My only criticism is that we don't have any descriptions of the characters. I don't know what to suggest, though, since these are all e-mails/letters. :/ The story, though, makes up for it :)

Kobra Kid **4/4 :D
Kobra Kid chapter 3 . 1/24/2011
That was such a sad chapter! I almost cried myself! I can't imagine leaving my father, even if he was abusive, and then getting a phone call from him on the train ride away. That has to be break Emily and Ethan's heart. The mother? Not so much. I'm sure she misses him when they were fine, but now he's a completely different man. The really sad thing? For once in his life, he was sober, and it just so happened to be the day that they left! How depressing is that! ranDUMM, you just broke my heart, haha. The whole conversation between Emily and her father was heart-wrenching. Definitely the part when the father said, "From...me?" OH. MY. GAWD. I wanted to cry. I held myself back, though, since my Dad was giving me a weird look. Haha, anyways, this was probably my favorite chapter so far! It was very emotional, and well-written! Seriously, awesome job!

Kobra Kid **3/4
Kobra Kid chapter 2 . 1/24/2011
Oh wow, so that e-mail was from the Mother, correct? Well, I'm glad that you focused on her. I was wondering when she'd show up! Anyways, great chapter! I really enjoyed Sharon's narration, and now I can see where Emily gets her kindness and compassion now. Well, I knew that it obviously wasn't her father, but I had a small hunch that the mother might not be sane b/c of the abuse. But, she perfectly is, which I am very glad about! She seems like a very pleasent lady, who understands that her friend, or former friend, Delilah may not have forgiven her. I'm glad that she just didn't straight up ask her like, "Yo. I need your house for mah kids for a week. I'll see you there on Thursday. Bye." Haha, well, anyways, great job! I'm sorry if these reviews aren't as awesome as yours! My brain is jumbled due to my chinese mid-term...yeah.

Kobra Kid **2/4 (I don't know why I said out of 3 last time...yeah, stupid chinese mid-term...haha)
Kobra Kid chapter 1 . 1/24/2011
Good introduction!

I really love the idea about telling the story of this suffering family through letters, more specifically e-mails! It makes it realistic, you know, because of the technology :D I really loved Emily's narration. It was very believable, since she seems like a terrified young girl who has no idea what's going to happen when her, Ethan and their mother leave. It's like a huge step into the unknown, like a life on the run! D: That sounds quite exciting! Ooh, when Emily said that she's seen mom bruises, that made me sad :( No one deserves to be abused like that, no one at all. Emily seems like a very nice girl, and I hate it other people but nice people down. It's not right, at all. Anyways, great job!

Kobra Kid **1/3
book.addict.for.life chapter 4 . 1/23/2011
This was good. I like her attitude towards I like her brother Ethan, he seems sweet.

The letter from Megan was so funny. xD Ha ha, that good for nothing loser!

Hope everything turns out well with her new beginnings. :D

great writing!

book.addict.for.life chapter 3 . 1/23/2011
I love the chapter names. :) Its unique. And this chapter was really good. I know the dad's a bad guy, but I felt sory fr him when I read this. And surprise! He didn't yell, which led to more guilt for the kids. Yeah, it's sad. I hope you have a god ending planned for this, missy! You better have. Till now, I love the story. Keep up the good work.

book.addict.for.life chapter 2 . 1/23/2011
This, I really liked. Like I said before, it's realistic; the fact that Delilah can't forgive Sharon so easily.

Till now, the story's good. Its not confusing, easy to follow and simple. You haven't crammed up many ideas together. Usually people tend to do that; cram up ideas in one chapter and make the story confusing. And I congratulate you for that.

book.addict.for.life chapter 1 . 1/23/2011
I really like the way you've written it. Emily sounds realistic, not fake. And the idea of letters is really good. I expexted it to be boring, cause I don't really like stories like this (you know Diary entries) but you've done a really good job.

I can't wait to see what happens next. I would sit and read and review the rest of the chapters, but my mum's killing me. I will if I can. :)

Good job and keep it going!
Resabelzia chapter 1 . 1/1/2011
I'm hooked already. This is exactly what I'd want in a story-something plot-heavy with just the right amount of imagery, and beautiful dialogue. I love the little touches you throw in there, like how Emily's username is troubled_grl_95. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this-what drove Em's dad to drink? Why does she choose to email her Aunt, and what drove her to do this?

You've done a great job already-I'm looking forward to reading more. I love the believability you give Emily. She sounds natural and normal, and she's a relatable character. When typically reading abuse-related stories, I often come across the angst character, and it's refreshing to see something so dark told from the perspective of an otherwise normal teenager.

The only real bone I have to pick here is the fact that on one hand, Em takes her dad's abuse lightly ("Really, all he ever does it yell"), but on the other, she's supposedly scared of him, judging from the chapter name. It seems inconsistent on the character's part. Also, just look out and make sure that this doesn't take a turn for the cliche.

Anyway, I'll catch up on the rest of this story at another time. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of it though.

xoxo,

Resa
paynt chapter 1 . 12/28/2010
Wow, I haven't read anything like this before. It's like reading a diary except it's letters. Very fun read!

I like how you write out the emotion as Emily, writing it as a child would. I really felt like I was Aunty Cass. I feel somewhat sadden knowing that there is trully fathers out there that not only abuse their children, but their wives as well. The letter almost made me cry. ;v; You wrote out how Emily felt about moving very well too and the flow of the letter was top notch.

Overall, I really liked it and do keep up the great writing!
Around.the.Rainbow chapter 9 . 12/14/2010
Something is going on between Mark and Sharon and it's bothering me that we don't know yet, but I'll wait for later chapters. This chapter wasn't too confusing at all, it seems pretty realistic. Different people will reply to their e-mails differently. Good chapter and as always can't wait to read more.

Blood of the Innocent