Reviews for An Absinthe Affair
youths chapter 1 . 9/19/2012
ha.. ha.. hahahahahaha. this has potential, although somewhat tiring to read through with the "overly polite" tone you've set up.

I thought you should have portrayed Nicholas as someone with... more jerk-wad tendencies? (although pantsing someone is such a trashy move itself.) and the number-breaks seem kind of off. I can't quite put my hand on it-although it probably has more to do with me reading this over a span of few days-but it seems more disconnected than it should be?

the twist at the end was really abrupt. if you've ever heard of that urban legend with the babysitter and the caller or watched the movie "The Strangers," it's that kind of out of the blue and dis-conjointed. it seems "Arianne" only did that to Nicholas because she could.. and then you just added a very weak twist to connect her to Percy. don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't make a plot like that, but I think you just didn't do it effectively.

overall, I'm just not really convinced. I was entertained and did enjoy Nicholas's fate though. since this was written in 2009, I'm curious to see how your style evolved. (sorry for my awful sentence structures!)
meltingstars chapter 1 . 11/16/2010
Whoot for subtle slash!

...This was genius. Arianne, or rather, Panacea, is one of the most awesome villanesses I've ever encountered, in any and all mediums.

Structure and grammar-wise you absolutely nailed it. Very rarely have I seen such a fic constructed to this meticulous level of care.

I really don't have much critisism to put into this, as this piece of writing is so perfect in itself that nothing much needs to be put into it.
rainbowjar chapter 1 . 8/15/2009
Well that owned. A. Hooray. Here's some reasons why:

1.) It was written really ridiculously well, just in terms of languages and sentences and suchlike. A lot of the time when people write things set in the Victorian era, it sounds horribly pretentious, but that's not the case with this, even though you use pretty advanced vocabulary and appropriate dialogue. I don't think I stumbled over a single sentence while reading it, and I'm pretty dumb. I also didn't get bored- the plot was well paced.

2.) Characterization of Nicholas: bam, done in the space of the first real paragraph. That takes skill.

3.) Time and place: well communicated. Nothing really seemed too "modern"

4.) An evil plan stretching across almost a decade, and it's centered around... a tea-making machine. A really big one. ...I don't care who you are, that's hilarious.

The only negative comment I can make is that the plot was a little predictable- you pretty much knew from the beginning that Arianne was using him and that it almost certainly part of some plot of revenge, considering what a douche Nicolas is. But it was still fun to read.