Reviews for Pound Of Flesh
Ioga chapter 1 . 11/29/2010
Br. I'm going to have to lean on the vagueification of the "_sort of_ based off of personal experiences" to wish you haven't been quite as up close and personal with the topic as the level of detail suggests. A late friend of mine of the persuasion got me to read books on the topic, and I realize I could continue some of the lists, like broken skin and teeth marks behind the fingernails. But the moods, although familiar to me on an abstract, cognitive level, just burn through from here.

Yet it doesn't sound like "I feel like this myself and wanted to share". It's a story, it retains the sense of distance between author and narrator.

One single part I thought was somehow strange: she deserved to be a supermodel in Paris, the dream? It seems like such a strange goal to have. The impression I've gotten has been that being able to be even barely "enough", having some minuscule worth on some measure would be a spectacular achievement. Of course when you look at yourself through sufficiently twisted lenses, you don't reach enough even you hit Paris, which is why it feels so strange to have a theoretically attainable concrete target to aim for. But it may well be it's just a point of view I've missed so far.

Thanks for this!
Imaginewhirledpeas chapter 1 . 10/27/2010
This is a truly grotesquely lovely story. It really pries on the nerves and secret pockets of the mind. Check on my stories, they follow some of these lines.
OliveFromTheOliveVine chapter 1 . 9/24/2010
This is horrifying but it's true, nicely written by the way. I used to go without eating for a while too, luckily I stopped doing that before I got too bad.
Solemn Coyote chapter 1 . 2/14/2010
Holy damn, but you picked an audacious topic to work with here. Regardless of whatever else happens during my reading of this story, you get my respect for that.

1) "The hallways smell of sugar and treats and cinnamon and all the things that make her gag." Way to establish character, right from the start. It also pulls the reader in by forcing them to ask 'why'?

2) I'm utterly blown away. You've got this intuitive understanding of eating disorders that makes me worry, just a little bit, but translates very powerfully to your writing. It makes complete sense that she would constantly worry about the size of her bones.

3) In its own way, it's quite horrifying. But if anything evokes the condition, this does. It hurt to read it,but not in a way that should reflect negatively on your ability as an author. It hurt because it had too much feeling in it; because it was too precise.

A lot of authors approach eating disorders from a distance, because it's uncomfortable to get this close. You didn't, and I have to applaud that.

4) Writing something like this would severely mess me up. I'd have to feel it, really feel it, as I wrote it, and I'm not sure I could handle that. For what it's worth, you've got an amazing literary gift, and I hope that whoever this was written for has stopped hurting herself.

-SC

On something of a more cynical note, the two google adds at the bottom of this page are "compulsive eating issues?" and "secret weight loss trick." It would almost be irony, if it wasn't so horribly sad.
NoRoadsLeft chapter 1 . 10/17/2009
it was horrible...but eating disorders are. it was horrible in the way she treated herself, but i know that the strangest things than make people do the strangest things. it was...well written, in the raw way that is unforgettable, and i know the feeling from myself...not as much as she, but still...it's sad, but i think every woman has felt fat, more than once in their lives.
papermask chapter 1 . 8/18/2009
That was so powerful. I hope so much that people will realise that they are beautiful the way God made them. Good work. :)
Hitsu-Chan chapter 1 . 8/17/2009
Wow, I really like the greusome details! Nicely done! Keep it up!
Destiny2RoseClan chapter 1 . 8/14/2009
Wow, just plain wow. This was an amazing piece of work you made! You captured the life of someone so prefectly (in a mildly disturbing way I might add) when it comes to this topic. Some people don't touch the subject because it might offend people, but the truth is that this problem will rise in woman out there trying to be thin.

Anyways, I enjoyed your story here. It was, like I said, amazing.
Mike McNamara chapter 1 . 8/14/2009
This story however short or emo is great don't get me wrong, a character that phsycically mutilates themself to achieve beauty, it was almost poetic. I don't know why but I think this could of went on for more chapters before people uncover her dark secret, that would of been scary, I'm not too sure if this belongs in horror, but the description was a bit creepy and I'm glad I chose to read this. Despite thinking of this girl as a monster, literally cutting herself apart, I feel bad for her, I might check out some of your other work if it's as good as this.