Reviews for The Thing About Twilight
Ella chapter 1 . 2/1/2017
Your essay shows better writing skill than all of the Twilight books put together.
I hated Twilight and still do but I'm impressed how you wrote about it intelligently.
Your writing is great, anyway, your one-shots prove that. Hope to see you coming out with your own best-seller in the future!
jaliwo chapter 1 . 6/12/2010
I liked this essay a lot. I have had the same thoughts about the Twilight series since I read them a year ago. I went from not being able to put them down and re-reading them to complete and utter loathing of them. I think you captured the ambiguous feelings toward theses books really well. You could have been reading my mind.

One thing I do disagree on is that I don't think the writing is good. I think Ms. Meyer does capture the characters' personalities and quirks really well, but it is far from good quality writing, especially from someone who was an English major.
EverEverAfter chapter 1 . 2/25/2010
I really really really like this essay. You expressed yourself very clearly and I like that you both like and hate the books. That way, you fall in with both categories of people: the Twilight lovers and Twilight haters. Sometimes, you hate something so much that you can't help but love it. I think that's your case.

I, for one, like the series but I respect the reasons for which you hate them.

I think writing this helped you clear your head and decide exactly where you stand about the books ).
Inflomora chapter 1 . 9/25/2009
We sound very similar. I HATE all those things about Twilight that you mentioned, but there's even more to it. The fact that Bella does all the housework while her father watches sports on ESPN, the way that her father just found it funny when Jacob kissed her even though Bella was very upset, the way Jake plays with her feelings of feeling that she has to protect everyone by threathening to ill himself if she doesn't kiss him.

And words like "chuckle" and "chagrin" are overused all the time. And Bella is pretty much flawless. Sure, she's clumsy, but everyone finds that endearing. Edward overreacts all the time, and Ms. Meyer says so herself, and every character must have flaws, but Bella makes Edwards faults seem perfect. Therefore, his overreacting tendencies are seen as part of his perfection.

I haven't read them in a while now. I get too annoyed with the characters, but once in a while I get sucked into the story and have to tear myself away because I don't want to like them.

Cheers, from your equally Twilight-disoriented

Flo
lumier17 chapter 1 . 9/24/2009
i agree with you, i like how you started out all angry and ticked off, but the you got down and all calm. i personally have some of the same feelings about twilight, they are aggrivating but i am addicted to them. the same goes to harry potter.
Lady of the Rose chapter 1 . 9/10/2009
I have to say, this is a very good essay and you make a very compelling case here. And it does make me want to pick up Twilight and give the book a shot, despite my negative feelings toward the series.

... However. There are just certain aspects of Twilight I can't get past. Yes, the sparkling is one thing but moreso is the fact that from what I caught of the movie, Edward seems to do a whole lot of angsting- so much that it stopped sounding like existential angst (which isn't a bad thing, by any means) and started to sound like... well, like whining.

Though, in all fairness, I'm probably also heavily prejudiced toward Anne Rice, as her Vampire Chronicles were my first exposure to the supernatural romance genre, to the point where I can't imagine any other writer or story being as good.
Sun Mi chapter 1 . 8/19/2009
Very good essay. I can't stand Twilight either, but you bring to light several points that I hadn't realized before. Especially in your rave paragraphs about how and why Bella and Edward are attracted to each other. Great job!
Erlkoenigin chapter 1 . 8/19/2009
Ein schöner, persönlicher Essay. Der Altersunterschied würde sich vielleicht nicht so bemerkbar machen, weil Edward sich nicht „altersgemäß“ verhält. Ich finde es eigentlich ganz erfrischen, dass der Mann schöner ist als die Frau (die dann aber sinnigerweise Bella heißt).

Ansonsten möchte ich mich den anderen Reviewern anschließen: rein vom Stil her sind die Bücher schlecht geshrieben. Das könntest du besser.

LG Franziska
Permanent chapter 1 . 8/18/2009
The Sam/Leah v. Sam/Emily relationships are really good examples; somehow, I'd skimmed over that while reading the series. It's not right, the imprinting. In fact, I find it quite ironic because the series is based on choice; when imprinting, you have no choice.

The series wasn't well-written in my opinion. Meyer needs to refine her writing skills. Sure, she has the good story in mind but it's the way it comes across in writing that really matters.

It was a good essay though.
k.maag chapter 1 . 8/18/2009
You listed a few of the reasons that those of us who dislike Twilight choose to do so, but you forgot the main one.

The purple prose in that series is a train wreck.

The story values style over substance.

Otherwise, I almost see what you mean, but the books are not written well.