Reviews for Plumblossom explains it all
Dianaartemis chapter 1 . 9/1/2009
I am incredibly happy that you wrote this. Especially the critique on giving boys eyeliner. It is such a small thing, but it really ticks me off when I see it, as well as other gay stereotypes.

And I do believe that seme and uke should never be used in writing, it's like using lol or wtf.

Keep up the standards!
Round About Parker chapter 1 . 8/29/2009
I couldn't agree more with most of this. There have been a couple of stories over the last few weeks that had the sudden-cross-dressing interlude and just ruined the whole thing for me. And I like cross-dressing! I can put up with a lot of cliches- and sometimes even like them- if there's something that I'm drawn to about a story, but why do people keep plopping their "boy next door" into dresses with absolutely no lead-up or anything?

Also, the weird "no girls allowed!" crap is especially annoying since most of it is written by girls. Especially the scifi stories that are basically colonies of beautiful magical men that can impregnate each other and live enternally without women. Really?

I'm always glad when people speak up about stuff like this.
frogs of war chapter 1 . 8/29/2009
Characters are best when they are complicated. After reading this I went back and changed an iffy line in a recent chapter to make it more nuanced.

Mental illness is not something to play around with. When I read a romance where someone is falling for someone who is mentally ill, I want to yell, "Run, for your own mental health. Run as far as you can and as fast as you can." One of hardest things I have ever done was having my mother committed until the doctors could get her symptoms under control. It would be worse, I think, if it were a lover or spouse.

I don't like the misogyny either. In slash most girls seem to be villains or shallow. I remember a book where a girl outs a couple just because she is evil and not any of a thousand other reasons that would have taken at least twenty minutes to think up. Many stories don't need villains. They simply need a character who works in their own self-interest which just happens to be at odds with the self-interest of the main character.

Nice essay.
moongazer7 chapter 1 . 8/28/2009
I like your piece for the most part, and will favorite it.

I especially like the critique about the abnoxious disabilities. It's even more abusive and humourous when they are physical. I mean deaf, blind, deaf/blind crippled, and such things. I am totally blind myself and would like to believe that I am amongst the 20% that is capable, I mean, I don't get along with the lazy eighty percent of blind people. However, the point is, Yes, they are ignorant and lazy, those who write them as such is correct, but a lot of them exaggerate so much it's so fake. I mean, that's part of the reason for all this loud pushing rallying from these various disabled communities such as the ACB or the NFB. And, for the ones who write the physicaly disabled folks as pure saints, I'd like to strangle them, because it's simply not true.

The point however as you said most of these stories are lousily written and the disability really has little significance.

I won't touch on the whole mental disability argument though, because I don't really know much about it. I disagree with you but don't know why. .

Yes, I don't care for the songs in stories either, or copies of texts from books.

Joe read Harry Potter "blah blah blah" *whatever they quoted* I just don't see the point. can't they just mention it and get the damn story going? ?Sometimes I feel the process really stops me from reading the story. It distracts me and makes me think of the lyrics. My mind can't flow with the unfolding of the story. I mean if we goddamn cared so much, we could just look it up for ourselves. At the most mention the page number of the text in a Author's Note at the end.

The problem with the sterotyping is it's not like that for everyone. I don't find the popular folks as the heros I fine the hero that defy common rules and runs things in a unique way heroic. So, saying that he was a football player and assume that I'll think hero is not such a good method.

Good piece overall, I haven't read a good one in a long while.
Unrecognizable chapter 1 . 8/28/2009
this was fantastic. i agree with you one hundred percent, despite being guilty of several of these things in the past. i've read slash on fictionpress for about 4 years now and personally as i've matured, more and more of this stuff has jumped out at me. the exaggerated high school cliches and as you said, the depictions of characters described as "head" anything particularly get to me. i recently graduated from a rather small high school with very few of the cliched cliques that people are so fond of writing about. while i imagine some high schools are more polarized than others, i've long been strong in the belief that nothing is black and white .. even or perhaps especially high school. people are so set on stereotyping that they don't stop to realize that there's never been a person (at least that i'm aware of) that has truly fit into one particular stereotype. i have nothing against guys having effeminate qualities in stories but too often i feel like i'm reading a story in which if the name and pronouns were switched the "submissive" guy could just as easily be a girl... which i think we'd all agree defeats the purpose of slash ... wow i could just keep ranting and ranting and i know you don't really want to hear it because obviously you've been thinking it yourself for a long time. but anyway, thanks for this, it's smart and very useful.
35 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3