Reviews for Arrogance
tonight we bloom chapter 3 . 9/26/2009
Your writing inspires me.

The beginning portion of this reminds me of my poem "Stranger"

My favorite was the last phrase or so: Yes, he was a deity, and I but an insignificant

tulip floating amidst the engine

roars; his fingers outstretched and

plucked the meandering bud from the sky.

I can't even DESCRIBE how beautiful this whole thing is. Keep writing!
La Terraza chapter 1 . 9/23/2009
I will fraud impervious laughs

throughout this concluding formality in

hopes that, perhaps you will

fall for me.

omg. This poem was awesome. Like, really, you're absolutely amazing!

I didn't expect that at all, lol, I've never been blown away by another poet on here. Good job, mate, good job!
StarlightWish17 chapter 6 . 9/10/2009
I lovveedd this! I would quote stuff but I think I'd quote your entire piece haha. :) Anyway I love the usage of wording in this. I know that I say this all the time about your work, but it's just SO beautiful. I mean... I don't know. I can't explain it! Just your whole style of writing makes me feel calm because the description is just so lovely. I can't get enough of your stuff! I'm sorry that it took so long to review it though. College has been hard but I'm getting the hang of it. :D Thanks for writing this! I really enjoyed reading it and I look forward to reading more of your stuff. Have a good one!
StarlightWish17 chapter 5 . 9/10/2009
It is raining lavender

down on the withered pathway.

Such mist caresses my dry skin,

scalding the degraded texture.

I love the lavender part. I have no clue why. But it just sounds so pretty. Gah!
Isca chapter 6 . 9/3/2009
"I awaken to a teal rose bloom." Beautiful.

"My heart has somehow faded white." A blank slate, perhaps?

"My lips have become sublime spider webs contrived to capture lost wings." It's funny that you mention spiders. I've been thinking about them a lot lately (which is strange, considering the fact that I abhor creepy-crawly things). Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is: I liked this line because I could relate to it. :P

Nice collection, Amaury. :)
Isca chapter 5 . 9/3/2009
"The heavens are orange." I guess I should begin by saying that the imagery here is very vivid and vibrant. Personally, though, the thought of an orange sky is rather ghastly. I much prefer 'blue-grey' skies. Don't take that as a negative compliment-it's good that this opening line stood out for me.

"It is too dark to be considered day." Umm...I don't know what to say...this line is downright divine...I'm blown away.

"Burning willows."

NO! THE POOR WILLOW TREES! :O

I love this line.

"Stop releasing such malevolent crackles from the rosewood." Holy God. I can't get enough of your writing, Amaury. It's lines like this that just shake my soul and move me. :D
Isca chapter 4 . 9/3/2009
"Esoteric rapture." Sign me up for some of that. ;)

"What is the point of poetry?" Something profound in us is satisfied.

"Death." I like this little touch of 'bold' creativity.

"Rupture the ashen, tender skin." Whoa. I bloody well love this line.

"On and on, I will ascend." How spiritual.
Isca chapter 3 . 9/3/2009
"Music was the only sound that left his throat." This line is very intriguing. I like the idea that this man exhales notes and melodies.

"Yes, he was a deity." Oh ho ho! Now THAT'S a brilliant little line. :D
Isca chapter 2 . 9/3/2009
"Swallowed by white sheets." I really like this opening line-it's so cute and jovial; it reminds me of those mornings when I wake up practically cocooned in my bed sheets :P.

"Crevasses give birth to shadows." How sensual.

"Such a bed is no place to sleep alone." Fascinating.

"To think that I suffocated in my lover's abode." Aha. What a nice twist.
Isca chapter 1 . 9/3/2009
"Only they have viewed the naked splendor." Well, good Lord, Amaury, this line is downright masterful.

"You're not coming back, are you?" Aww. The tone of this line is so pleading and melancholic. I love it.

"Reminiss." Reminisce.

"My corpse is beneath our almond tree, waiting." You know, according to celtic tree lore, the almond tree represents divination and wisdom. What a perfect ending. :)
Louis Denair chapter 6 . 8/31/2009
Ah, the changing colors emphasize the tumultuous, erratic character of the speaker. The narrator's personality is distinct and very human with its own individualistic traits, oddities and fancies. It helps in creating a bond between the reader and the speaker. I love how the air changes from teal to white- fear perhaps; then to sepia- which strikes me as nostalgia- and then blue again- is it hope? The next stanza seems to suggest so. Yet the ending strikes a note of ruthless hopelessness, so to speak. The off-white walls leave the reader with a feeling of utmost compassion and the poem ends on a wholly dreary note. Melancholy, yes. Artful? Oh, you bet. I enjoyed this collection very much. It is very well written; actually helped to wake me up from a state of evening half-slumber, I think so thank you for that, Armaury. ;)
Louis Denair chapter 4 . 8/31/2009
I could easily sense the change of character and mood here. The desperation and sadness, the erratic demeanor of the speaker is profusely manifest in both the meaning and the form(I mean mainly the wonderfully interwoven 'death'). The chaotic and often ungrammatical form somewhat deters from the poetical beauty inherent though it is, I think, agreeable and understandable in the context of what this part tries to convey. If it were one exclusive poem, it would be a severe flaw in my view but as a part of a whole- I think it works pretty well.
Louis Denair chapter 3 . 8/31/2009
"his fingers outstretched and

plucked the meandering bud from the sky"

There couldn't be a more perfect ending to this part. I'm blissed on the blooming flowers of your fragrant poetics.
Louis Denair chapter 2 . 8/31/2009
The description of the man lying in bed, sinking in the sheets and feeling all lonely and glum is quite a remarkable thing. The sound metaphors had a pleasant ring to them(pun intended). The sporadic repetition of the rhyme(waltz-folds etc) propelled the tempo and formed a sort of refrain.
Louis Denair chapter 1 . 8/31/2009
I enjoyed the emotion in this. The desperation, the passion is starkly laid out and evident but with that tinge of mystery that makes us cringe in delight and settle in our seats to hear the story to its end.

I am especially partial to 'my corpse is beneath our almond tree'. It connected nicely with the almond branches earlier on. A lovely ending to this chapter.