Reviews for Worthwhile Imagination
C. Tattiana H-H chapter 1 . 7/24/2010
For such a short piece, you do a fantastic job of describing the moment in such a way that drew me in and left an impression. Your sentences transition well into each other and I adore the first line. The personification was used seamlessly, and moving into the next sentence, you really made me connect with Beka.

I enjoyed the Tolkien references, and I thought you used them in such a way that subtly improved your story, as opposed to distracting or detracting from it.

The last line was a wonderful conclusion. I’m impressed that you could do so much in such few words. My only criticism is the repetition of “lap.” You end the second sentence with it, as well as the first part of the third sentence. Other than that, though, I thought this was a really great piece. Excellent work, Sir.
AvidWriter-92 chapter 1 . 7/3/2010
Hey. :)

I thought that this little one-shot was really good. :P I liked the overall feel and tone of this. :) I thought that your take on the prompt was really unique. It definitely isn't an obvious connection. :)

Great work on this. I loved the descriptions of what was really happening and what was in Beka's dreams. :)

Avid. :) Roadhouse.

2/9
Sword And Sorcery chapter 1 . 2/24/2010
Nice story! Is this how authors and dreamers live?
simpleplan13 chapter 1 . 2/22/2010
Your freebie for participating in the RM!

"It's cover rested open"...Its

I like the piece. It's a really interesting idea. I think your descriptions were great and I loved the ending. It's so true for people who can really immerse themselves. I'm glad I've seen LOTR or I wouldn't have gotten the references... lol.
Glass Queen chapter 1 . 2/5/2010
Very nice, slendidly written.
lookingwest chapter 1 . 11/18/2009
Beautiful. I absolutely love where you took this, it's so original and really rich in word choice, imagery, and description. You took getting lost in a book to the next level, and it said everything.
Zombiesaurus Rex chapter 1 . 9/26/2009
Hey, here’s your Freebie review.

Other (Concept):

The concept here was pretty cool. I liked how you blurred the lines between the real and fictional with Beka. She seems to be caught between both, but unlike a lot of speculative fiction which deals with a similar theme, she doesn’t seem to mind so much.

Characters:

While the reader doesn’t know much about Beka, we don’t really need to. The piece is short enough that only the smallest details of her personality are important to us, and what you do reveal furthers the plot.

I like that she enjoys living the stories she reads – it fits with the WCC prompt. Her reaction makes it seem as if it’s something she’s been able to do for a long time.

Scene:

The story was very reminiscent of Lord of the Rings, and high fantasy in general. You certainly set the scene with references to Tolkien (nazgul, orcs, climbing the volcano). It’s an interesting choice for a reference – well known enough that most people will get it, but you don’t let the reference overpower the rest of the piece.

I liked this element.

Ending:

I liked the ending. You wrapped everything up and made a nice reference to the prompt without actually quoting it. It gives the reader a good sense of closure, even if the piece is nice and short.

My favorite line: “Because while many people got to read of adventures of far away and imaginary places, she could actually live them.”

Zombiesaurus Rex
Lost-in-my-books-forever chapter 1 . 9/11/2009
This is great, Sir. A little short, but it gets the meaning across very well. I'm just a little confused about the last paragraph. Is she still asleep? Or has she woken?
Ohhtheambiguity chapter 1 . 9/9/2009
I thought this was a really cool premise. I liked the imagery and the way it was written, but mostly I liked the idea. I wish I was better at short drabbles like this.
Faithless Juliet chapter 1 . 9/7/2009
Your piece was a little short. To me it was more of a moment in time for this character as opposed to a story told with a beginning, middle, and end, but the writing was very good. I like how you made the scene come alive, I could see the city behind her as she read, and I could also see the image of her falling asleep with the book on her lap. Very nice, overall keep up the good work.

Much love,