Reviews for Sycophant
May Elizabeth chapter 1 . 9/29/2009
I loved this poem of dark, perhaps unrequited love.
Brenda Agaro chapter 1 . 9/21/2009
Very good repetition and emphasis of the word "sycophant" in this poem. The way you did it was clever - it didn't feel redundant to me. Very good imagery as well. Great job! :-)
in theory chapter 1 . 9/19/2009
I like how freely you express yourself in this. The repetition of "sycophant" at first seems a bit over the top, but then the actual *point* (at least as I interpreted it) of the poem argues that the reader's perception of over the top, inappropriate, unnecessary, etc, are transcended by you, the author. Not in a 'holier-than-though' mystical kind of way, just in a realistic way. Too often 'poetry' is shelved as some kind of higher way of thinking and those who read/write/enjoy it are thought of as a bit strange, possibly out of sync with reality. But when you say what you want the way you *want* to, but still maintaining the 'soul' of poetry, it becomes something very intriguing. I'm not sure I could have had the loosening of self-control to say "sycophant" so many times in one piece, but you have paved the way!

I'm reminded very heavily of "Persephone, Eve, Mary"

(the herb taste, the stones in the stomach/heaviness etc; it brought that piece back quite suddenly).

Very interesting read m'dear :D

Jack
stained blue chapter 1 . 9/19/2009
I really liked your usage of words, it so intense and dynamic (I think). "Sycophant" is one of my favorite words, right up there with nihilism. Great piece. :)
Kate Marshall chapter 1 . 9/19/2009
"Romanticism rocks me in the arms of a sycophant lover." I love this line! The line seems to betray something akin to willful blindness. I love that. It's very realistic; people are so quick to lie to themselves for their own benefit. Plus, the alliteration is quite clever. :D

Speaking of alliteration. "the swish, swivel, growl..." and "my sycophantic tongue reeks of rosemary" are splendid. I thoroughly enjoyed that. So pretty.

"your conversation hardly makes me fawn, merely lets me yawn steadily under the umbrella yoke of your sycophantic gimmick." There are several things I love about this! Fawn/yawn sounds very clever, and the rhyme itself adds some nice rhythm. And the word choice for "umbrella" is wonderful. The imagery is interesting and creative.

The poem lacked some rhythm. But I can easily forgive that for the words. This is a lovely poem, Faithless Juliet!

Review Squader for the Review Marathon,

-Peach/Kate
Isca chapter 1 . 9/18/2009
"My sycophantic tongue reeks of rosemary, and when you suck it, it leaves you suffering for less of more of me." Oh wow. I don't even know what to say. This line is incredible both for its audacity and for its creative nature; the 'reeks of rosemary' alliteration, by the way, is wondrous. :)
The Lucy Program chapter 1 . 9/17/2009
Wow, I REALLY like this! :D You suck me in from the beginning till the end with your beautiful imagery. Your meter sounds rather like a dialogue, but it completely fits. That's sometimes one of the hardest parts of poetry, the meter.

Only one thing I could notice, in the 3rd stanza, line 1, wouldn't it be "in the arms of a sycophantic [lover]"? It doesn't really flow well when I notice that you put the word 'lover' in that sentence after 'sycophant', which sounds like two nouns together. It jarred the flow, in my opinion.

Wonderfully done :]

Blessed Be,

TLP.
Eternal Skies chapter 1 . 9/17/2009
i liked it, the pictures are vivid and i loved your similes though i don't get the poem, lol. i looked up sycophant and it meant a person who uses flattery to win favour from people with power or influence, i read the poem twice but i didn't understand the relationship between it and the poem. that's what i didn't like about it, it's vague and obscure and general.

my favorite lines:

"It leaves you with those stones-

those veined opals sunken in your stomach

like a lively ocean, salt drunken, mind

mish-mashed as though my thought process

had already taken the razor to your notion

of nonchalant punishment."
Faal Luen chapter 1 . 9/16/2009
Oh i love this poem. I must admit that i am utterly lost, i dont understand it. But that does not stop me liking it.

I like the imagery in this poem, exotic, far from vapid.

Also i like the flow, the repeated use of the poem title, it takes you along on a journey (even if i dont know where i am going, i enjoy the scenery)

Love it!
bipedalcooney chapter 1 . 9/16/2009
This whole poem is incredibly well written. I especially love the stanza about the "stones." While you described opals, I first thought of kidney stones and then ulcers, which as it turned out worked well "sunken in your stomach" feeling." It's great how your words guided my mind to associations rather than literal images.

And I love the phrase "less of more of me"- it got me thinking, drawing me into your writing.

Great work!