Reviews for Socrates
Punslinger chapter 1 . 11/7/2009
You neglected to mention that a major reason Old Soc hung out with guys was to get away from his nagging wife Xanthippe. When he tried to teach her logic, she'd say: "Get a job, you bum."
Zombiesaurus Rex chapter 1 . 9/22/2009
I would suggest that you study history before you take it upon yourself to talk about history.

The idea that Socrates was the first person to use logical thought is downright insulting to the pre-Socratic thinkers like Pythagoras of Samon and Zeno of Elea, not to mention demonstrably erroneous.

Zombiesaurus Rex
xrawritskalix chapter 1 . 9/18/2009
Hi Rachel,

This is actually a Spanish assignment? I really wasn't expecting that. Well, it was good anyway. For something so short you did a good job giving important information about Socrates. I at least think it was more important than other things about him. And I already read the other review and saw the grammar comments so I won't bother pointing out specific ones again. I think that they pretty much summed it up. Overall, this was a pretty good biography type thing.

Kali
Quint chapter 1 . 9/18/2009
Hi,

I usually start off by pointing things out, so try not to get offended... I don't mean anythin personal by it.

"Socrates is an Athenian in ancient times who was one of the first recorded person who developed and used logical thought."

You flipped tenses. Change the "is" to "was". Also, maybe:

"who was one of the first recorded people to develop and use logical thought"

I also suggest starting a new paragraph after the quote. The text is a tad sloppy on this, I don't know if it was the fiction press document manager that made it look odd... But, maybe edit it.

"He is a great philosopher"

I suggest omitting "great". When writing a bio on someone it's best not to add in your own opinions on the matter... a bit biased (Even though he was "great"). Also, tense again, switch the "is" to "was".

"He criticized many, and had many ideas."

Rather vague, short sentence. I understand that this was a Spanish assignment so there was possibly a limit on how much you could write. But, if you choose to re-work this, expand more on his ideals and criticisms.

"They were very different, and people didn't like it as much."

I suggest dropping "as much", it's a bit too informal.

"Many thought he was a bad influence to young people."

Suggest changing "to" to "on".

"They tried him guilty, and they said he had to be killed, so he did die soon afterwards."

Omit the second "they". Maybe start a new sentence after "killed". But, I would possibly reword it. Maybe:

"He died soon after."

Anyway, I apologise for sounding obsessed with corrections and the like. It's a bit strange that this was a Spanish assignment, I'm assuming this was originally written in Spanish then? Although this was rather short, you did sum him up rather well.

Cheers.