Reviews for Nano Future
Fishphobia chapter 2 . 6/15/2010
Usually I'm not a big fan of SciFi but wow! These two characters you've created are already very relateable in the way they are laid back and quoting pop culture. But at the same time, they are incredibly intelligent. It's impressive you can gather this informatuon from just the first chapter. The only thing I disliked was the length of the chapter. You have some imagery in there but I think you could elaborate more. I noticed that about your prologue too. All in all great writing :)
TheLadyPendragon chapter 1 . 6/7/2010
This is really very descriptive. I'm not a hardcore scifi fan, but I do enjoy it, and this prologue looks very promising, because the imagery is very easy to visualize, for the most part. I also like the idea of man becoming god through scientific advances, and I've seen that a few times in other scifi movies/novels, but I'd like to see where you go with it. It's always interesting to see man's quest to ditch mortality. :)

All I suggest you do is separate the first person parts of the story from those in third person - maybe italicize Dr. Nano's first person monologue - so there's a clear break between them.

Nice job.
JaveHarron chapter 15 . 3/21/2010
Fun issues raised, but I think Orion's Arm does a pretty nice job of explaining them better. Check out their article on virches.
JaveHarron chapter 13 . 2/24/2010
A nice bit on a field I've researched. However, you forgot brain computer interface. Instead of just a prosthetic upgrading existing limbs, a BCI wouldn't even need to connect. With brainwaves alone, one could control a device (even if they never controlled the rest of their body before).
Jave Harron chapter 12 . 1/31/2010
This is more a catalog of technologies than a story, but as a hard science fiction fan, I enjoy it. Aside the plot thread with the scientists that appears now and then, and the one at the start. Generally, in scifi, the technologies are key aspects to the setting, rather than the other way around. I think you should check out a pretty cool hard science fiction setting called Orion's Arm. That would be right up your alley. Still, needs a lot of work as far as writing goes.
Jave Harron chapter 8 . 1/31/2010
Well researched chapters on AI, but a term you might want to look into is AGI, or Artificial General Intelligence. AI can be seen as a broad category of machine learning, while AGI is the more ambitious (and scifi relevant) goal of producing a "sapient" machine.
Jave Harron chapter 6 . 1/31/2010
I have to say, I really like the transhumanist themes in the story. It seems more an explanation, even more of a textbook than Heinlein, but a science fanatic like me loves it. Looking forward to reading more!
Pterodactyl chapter 12 . 1/30/2010
I think that your view of a plausible future for technology is very wide and exceedingly thought out, however it feels like you are quoting a classroom (yes I realize that at this point, part of it is set in a classroom) I am wondering how, beyond what you have described, people will react to the indistinguishable reality and fantasy. I realize that this might be a nightmare to try to comprehend at this point, but I believe that if your world was not quite as idealized it would make it seem more real.

Also your plot is either nonexistent, or very very very slow moving.

Other than that, I love your writing style and am awaiting reading more from you.
Simplexious chapter 8 . 12/10/2009
You continue to amaze me with every new chapter. This story is very well-written and pretty original. You don't see a lot of stuff like this.
Distilledfx chapter 3 . 11/23/2009
Hi,

I don't normally read sf but i've been getting into it lately and I gotta say this is a great piece of work. I didn't think that I would like it from the prologue - the part talking about the arms of the machine seemed a bit repetitive and hard to follow, but the first two chapters did keep me reading all the way through. You definitely have a way with writing natural speech and in first person. I do wonder where you are going with this as I assume this will all come together and give some context to the prologue - but there appears to be a significant time difference. I guess I'll have to keep reading.

Once again, great stuff here
paper-cut-out-partner chapter 5 . 11/7/2009
a nice spin on the evil robot story though i felt some of the explainations were a little questionable but easily overlooked by the fact that i was thoroughly enjoying the story. The same goes for gramatical errors and one or two spelling mistakes but im definately not complaining as the quality of writing is quite high something which is hard to come by.

Over all I think you have done a really really good job and i am most definately looking forward to more from you:)

KEEP IT UP!
Lilium Inter Spinas chapter 5 . 11/7/2009
It's hard for me to find stories that are in the first person and well-written at the same time, but you seem to have quite the mastery of it. It seems as though you put a lot of careful thought into writing your work, which is refreshing. I can't wait to see where you go with this.
Simplexious chapter 4 . 10/25/2009
Looks like you did your research. This story is really different from anything else I've read. It almost feels like a documentary, or maybe it's just the elaborate exposition. In any case it's good from what I've read.
paper-cut-out-partner chapter 1 . 10/2/2009
I'm quite impressed with the quality of writing as it can be hard to come by. I very much like the concept though I have only read the prologue. As a first time sci-fi reader on FP i have to say this is a very promising start. Looking forward to reading the rest.

keep on going :)