Reviews for Gnaw
Isca chapter 1 . 10/2/2009
I like this haiku. I like the fact that the speaker is obviously a realist-wishing to 'ingest' idealism any way that she can (whether through sex or eating). I like the idea that idealism is something 'physical' that she can grasp onto-that's a unique idea. :)
Dale Christopher chapter 1 . 9/30/2009
Gnaw has always been a word that appeals and repulses me at the same time, but I honestly couldn't tell you why. It makes me think of a group of insects devouring something living, they all move so quickly but the death is still so slow.

But to the haiku! Which I dig, because it just feels like that moment where you give up, even if it's only momentarily. It's almost a sigh of relief. Or that's how I read it, anyway.

Peace, Daze
in theory chapter 1 . 9/29/2009
The word "gnawing" really makes this in my opinion, that final line seems so unremarkable. But the way you combine it elevates it into something profound.

So idealism is resilient despite our attempts at deconstructing it into extinction, and something that can be used to build from, like wood, but hot like fire and dangerous, hence the cooling water. This is roughly what I understood from this at 8 am :D

Jack
tonight we bloom chapter 1 . 9/28/2009
I really like the word choice for "gnawing," makes this a lot more interesting.
Brenda Agaro chapter 1 . 9/28/2009
Amazing. You definitely have the talent to make connections.
Kate Marshall chapter 1 . 9/27/2009
"Spent from gnawing on idealism." How very clever. "Gnawing" makes this line more interesting; the speaker is not only 'clinging' to idealism -since she is spent from it-, but 'gnawing' on it. It's an odd word choice; very 'off-beat', but it makes the line stand out much better. :)

The second phrase of the haiku makes me smile. You've taken something utterly boring and made it into something thoughtful and meaningful. The speaker tires of idealism and settles for the small, every day reliefs of realism, I suppose?

Very nice!