Reviews for She carries a yellow pail at her elbow
Icyfire4w5 chapter 1 . 6/12/2010
I agree with all the other reviewers that this poem is well-written. You've succeeded in painting a vivid picture with simple but well-chosen words. I would like to give the girl a hankie and tell her not to cry. :)
Garneau chapter 1 . 6/7/2010
Hi,

I like the poem. It is very descriptive yet brief. I can picture the image you are painting with words.

I like the how you have sort of swapped the idea of tears and rain.

"And as tears fall slowly down upon her

The small pail fills with the rain of her heart"

It creates another dimension within the poem.

It is so simplistic, yet strangely beautiful.

I often find that some people in their poetry, repeat words, but you have avoided doing this. I really like it when there isn't big repetition. It's such a innocent concept. I didn't know what the Morton salt umbrella girl was , so I goggled it and it fit exactly to what I had pictured when you described her.

Great work. This a very good piece of writing.

Keep it up,

Garneau.
natmarie chapter 1 . 1/30/2010
I love the vivid imagery in this and how the bright happy colors contrast with her crying...the last line is my favorite.
CuriousContradiction chapter 1 . 10/24/2009
I was just thinking about the Morton Salt Girl the other day, actually. I haven't seen the box around my house for awhile, but this poem brought the image back in my head. I loved the contrast of the yellow pail and the red umbrella and the grayness all around. The only thing I'd change is take out the comma between "battered" and "red" because I heard that if you have an adjective and a color, there's no comma in between. Everything else was lovely though. You're a great poet. :)
young and the reckless chapter 1 . 10/22/2009
"the pail fills with the rain of her heart"

that is so simply profoud, so lovely :)