Reviews for What it Means
Uncle Rupert chapter 3 . 5/5/2010
Hello there. You have asked for constructive criticism, something i am not really much good at but i'll give it a go.

I really like the way this is going. If i was to change anything it would be the dinner scene. Maybe Jean-Claude could be a bit more defencive or senitive about his 'branding' or the meal could be a touch more awkward(don't ask me how). See i am not very good at this. Anyway one thing i wouldn't touch is the relationship between Jean-Clause and Claudin. I love the way you have written them together it's beautiful to read.
Fellow NaNoWriMo-er chapter 13 . 12/17/2009
Oh my gosh, this made me laugh so hard. It is hilarious!
BisleyD chapter 31 . 12/2/2009
I was pleasantly surprised by the way you held the story together and managed to pace it evenly and kept it going all the time, without much unnecessary dwelling.

Other thing that I actually like, is the fact that you didn't magically solve the big _problem_ (that is the unjust society), but kept the story in a smaller frame.

What I find annoying, and more than often, almost infuriating, is Claudin the know-it-all, who has answers to everything if we're to believe him, can't leave things alone and wants to do everything his own way regardless of what other people think.

In a bizarre way he reminds me of some fanfiction stories, where the author inserts a better-than-you character into the original story to control it.

Sometimes having an annoying character is a plus for the writer, since it should wake emotions in the reader. I however, was about to quit reading altogether somewhere around chapter 20, because I certainly thought that his attitude was becoming too much.

Claudin was annoying in the good way in the beginning, but the longer the story progressed, I just kept wanting to skip the parts mentioning him. Which is a lot.

Well, that is my personal opinion about one character ;]

All in all, as a story and its plot this is a rather promising draft.

I would certainly be interested reading more about this universe, perhaps a revolution in the future (preferably as far away from Claudin as possible ;p)? :]
LaButterfly chapter 31 . 11/29/2009
*Wants to smack Rose's mother for being such a jerk!* Aw. That vow from Rose was easily the sweetest and most truthful part of this story, and I'm glad she said every word. And yes, to be honest, I DON'T think she deserves him. ;) But I hope, as she does, that she can continue to be the person he needs and that they can end up truly happy. It would be nice to see a snippet of their future, of how Mrs. Madeleine mellows out (and she'd BETTER mellow out; it'd be nice if she grew to have affection for him and got that massive chip off her shoulder) and how they are with children as a family. It'd also be nice to see a bit of what happens with the other werewolves that stayed with him and if the laws ever change. Oh, and Claudin needs a girl. ;) That way he can focus on his OWN life now. Thank you for this lovely story; I've LOVED it. :)
LaButterfly chapter 30 . 11/29/2009
"Ignoring, of course, the fact that according to Dante the lowest circle of Hell was actually frozen and icy." *Snort.* I love how he's so much more intelligent than these bigoted people he has to deal with (which is rather telling, actually, of bigotry in general). And way to go, Rose. Your mother needed to see just what path she was treading.

"He could certainly endure a year of service in order to win one of the things he wanted most in the world." Your story occasionally reminds me of ancient Jewish religious history, and as this is the second time, I felt I should mention it. That quote reminds me of Jacob, working as a servant for 14 years to earn the right to marry the woman he loved. Earlier and throughout, I've thought Jean-Claude's story matches wonderfully to the songs in the movie "Prince of Egypt," which also follows the lives of slaves. Interesting... Poor boy; I do hope his future mother-in-law becomes decent in the future, or I shall have to hate her for all eternity... Like that will do much. ;)
LaButterfly chapter 29 . 11/29/2009
Aww; so sweet. :) I love Jean-Claude. (Admission: Guys like him are my favorite. :) Sweet, respectful, intelligent, an all-around good guy; LOVE!) Rose is a VERY, VERY lucky girl, and I hope she knows that! I also hope the family dynamic thing works out. *Forces sense into Roses' mother.*
LaButterfly chapter 28 . 11/29/2009
That proposal is going to be a bit sudden. O_o At this rate, I'd have to agree with Jean-Claude that Claudin is pushing his caring a bit too far. Well-intentioned, no doubt, but... Eh, we'll see how it goes. :) *Off to read the next.*
ColdCoffeeEyes25 chapter 6 . 11/29/2009
This is a great, original take on the vampire/werewolf dynamic, and I'm enjoying it very much. And you get points for liking Gounod, though for me Malfitano will always be the quintessential Juliette. :) Keep it up, and I'll keep reading!
LaButterfly chapter 17 . 11/28/2009
Just as a random note, I'll have you know that I looked up and listened to a performance of Nessun Dorma just because of this chapter. ;) I thought you should know that.
LaButterfly chapter 27 . 11/28/2009
Poor Jean-Claude. :( I don't particularly like Rose; she's a bit stubborn and harsh for someone like Jean-Claude, but it looks like she's going to be good for him, so I can't hate her. It's like tolerating her; rather like Claudin does, I suppose. :) But I had to cheer her on when she stood up for him and called him a "person," as he is. I think there's hope for her father, but her mother is an absolute JERK! I've thought for a bit and still believe that if he had gotten to know them as a "human" for a while there wouldn't be such spite toward him. Rawr; no like her mother. :-(
LaButterfly chapter 21 . 11/22/2009
Oh, poor Jean-Claude. :( :( *Sad.* *Hugs him gently.* I swear, if I was Claudin, I would have burst into the arena and declared if they hurt him at all I would personally stake every last one of them and douse their homes in holy water! Jean-Claude's too nice and sweet to be hurt. :( Rose and her family need to see this. Others need to see this. They need to see it and get mad. It's not OK.

(Reacting to a story well-written story.)
LaButterfly chapter 20 . 11/22/2009
Aw; poor scared Jean-Claude. *Hugs him.* I'm glad Claudin's friends weren't jerks, and I hope they remain non-jerks for the foreseeable future. :) Jean-Claude needs more friends.
LaButterfly chapter 19 . 11/22/2009
OK, before I get this review out of the way, I should clear something up: I fail at reviewing. Terribly. Horribly. Almost as badly as you can possibly manage. But I do read constantly, and I am in absolute LOVE with your story. I love your characters to pieces, and I'm constantly impressed by how well you "know" them. I want to give Jean-Claude and Claudin a hug and push Rose into being less tentative around Jean-Claude. And now I have to love Ayden (dramatics, yay!) and Jeremiah, because they're not species-ist jerks. :) I hope things go well for our favorite little werewolf and for his charity, and hopefully their society starts improving. On to the next chapter! :)
fellow nanowrimoer chapter 13 . 11/16/2009
Fun scene - are werewolves not supposed to be scary at all? are they all victims? why don't they just bite their evil employers?

and boy... garlic mashed potatoes sound so good .
fellow nanowrimoer chapter 12 . 11/16/2009
i can haz kit kat now?

Nice scene. I would have liked to have seen more from Rose. It almost seems like shes taking a back seat to the claudin / jean-claude relationship?

Glad to see he'll be calling her rose :)