Reviews for Mariners in emulation of Melville
lookingwest chapter 1 . 1/10/2010
Having read Melville's works, especially Benito Cereno, I love this because I think you do justice to his scary and almost gothic way of describing the sea and the ships, especially in Cereno, there's a lot of imagery about "ghosts" and vacant ships, and when you add the "cackling skeleton shouts" that really emulated Melville. I find this a lot more accessible than his work, XD, I like also the whole aire of doubt in "though I doubt Romanism"-I think this is also a fun play on Romanticism, since Romanticism is tied so closely with nature, and I have to admit that's what came to my mind first.

from the review marathon (link in my profile)
simpleplan13 chapter 1 . 12/18/2009
"though I doubt Romanism roams"... I loved that. The repetition

"concocted an orgy, it would bread"... breed

was really great.

"from the crows nest - a lagoon"... crow's

I like the piece. As always your descriptions were really great. I loved the first stanza. How you described them was really great. The simile in the second to last stanza is well done too. My favorite part though was the third stanza. That was a really powerful image.

Review Marathon this weekend (link in my profile)
Isca chapter 1 . 11/15/2009
"Those fingers nearly broken." Excellent description.

"Lips always tasting of chowder and gun powder casings." Brilliant internal rhyming.

"A cackling skeleton shouts from the crows nest." An intriguing and chilling line.
Brenda Agaro chapter 1 . 11/9/2009
Great imagery as always. I like the word choice. To me, it makes the poem vivid and captivating.