Reviews for Among the Ruins of Penwig Abbey
AJS chapter 52 . 5/8/2011
Such a charming story. :) I kind of wish she had come to the conclusion that she wanted to be with him on her own, without having to wait to see that other people around her were defying what everyone else thought, but I guess I should just be happy she came to her senses and realized it at all, right? I would have liked a little more development or depth in their relationship. I understand that this story takes years to culminate but I guess I feel like their relationship hadn't developed enough in the first place to warrant such strong and lasting feelings. So maybe a little more development on the front end would have been better.

Other than that, cute story and I like the historical aspect of it. :) And the ending. I like how it didn't matter either way whether he killed her parents or not, because she had accepted him anyway. I feel like there should have been some point though in the story where he explained that to her.

- Alyssa
rougette chapter 1 . 10/24/2010
I'm already hooked! Can't wait to read more :) lovely depiction of Ophelia!
Tink R Bell chapter 52 . 10/14/2010
Loved the story!
Toxic-noodle725 chapter 52 . 10/9/2010
Omg. This was breathtakingly amazing. I loved it.
Reader chapter 52 . 10/5/2010
Oh my GOD, I can't believe I just read something this good on fictionpress. It's very well written and I couldn't wait to get back from school to read more. This is definitely my new favourite romance story, and not just on fp. I almost died when Hans told Braun he's going back to Germany and Ophelia missed the truck he was on but the ending of chapter 51 was so perfect it made me want to cry. But I feel sorry for Braun. First the tunnel collapsed while he was in there and then he couldn't escape because he was in too much pain and to make everything worse that person he worked for wouldn't let him see his new girlfriend D:

Overall, this was an amazing story and I really enjoyed it
Kaiizzle chapter 52 . 9/17/2010
Hopefully you won't mind that I'll be writing a completely useless review, because all I can think of right now is that I loved it.
mcdreamy1992 chapter 52 . 8/26/2010
Wow! I've read many many stories before but rarely have I read such a well-written story! This is brilliant and definitely one of my all-time favourites! You have a gift!
Armith-Greenleaf chapter 52 . 8/25/2010
Aww, this was a perfect ending. Not only they had a bunch of children and playful grandchildren to boot, but living together until their hair got gray was as happily ever after as it was going to get.

Hmm yes, I think the fact that Hans was a doctor helped him be accepted more easily; all villages and towns can do with a doctor or two! But also his personality, he's a sweet and caring person. It's hard to tell he was ever in the war.

There were CD's in 1983 already?

Also, although *I* would have liked to know if he was responsible for the death of her parents or not, I think it was better this way-for them.

Great, fabulous work with this story! Now, I must find a way to make you write more WW2 stories. *rubs hands*

Best Wishes from AG

PS. I wish you could get a hold of some form of IMing so we could hold conversations over your stories (and so I could fangirl over them!) :)
Armith-Greenleaf chapter 51 . 8/25/2010
OHOHOHOHO Viola and Moss! I heart this! Lol. For a second I thought she'd say Braun. So this was what she wanted to say, and she knew the prisoners were going to be sent away! Gawsh girl, shoudda said so sooner!

No wonder Moss had steadily gotten nicer. :P Omg that was so funny. I'm still laughing.

Side note: I love the random people in life who are polite without realizing how much they've helped you. They're like earthly angels.

YAY, HE'S STAYING! *jumpjump* And the decision to leave had seemed so final too!

On the other hand, it's kind of sad for him too, because he has to say good bye to Germany (and his family, or whoever is left) for a long time, if not ever. What a bittersweet situation.

Oh, and Colonel Moss you hush, you. :P

Armith-Greenleaf chapter 50 . 8/25/2010
Oh crud, a very difficult situation has presented itself. I have a feeling this is going to be the permanent decision that ends their story, in which case one thing was needed: there was the kiss to signal the end of things for them but after that there was no foreshadowing about this happening. It makes sense that it be sprung as surprise to the immates but not to the rest of the town (especially the local soldiers.) I don't know, I feel like there was an important connection missing that could've created a bigger sensation of 'oh no, something big and bad is going to happen' for the reader.

This is actually something that I've noticed throughout the entire story, and I'm beginning to think it's partly because the are only two points of view and they're a bit narrow. Ophelia and Hans are too focused on their situation; it'd be stressed further if there was another pov to focus on the reality of the moment (maybe the Colonel, since hs's such a charming character? The sisters? Uncle Hadley?)

Armith-Greenleaf chapter 49 . 8/25/2010
Something's happened, indeed Ophelia. Also, Viola got interrupted (wonder if she wanted to talk about a certain German prisoner.)

Uncle Hadley is a changed man, yes. Ophelia does have a point though, in a small town were people were as conservative as a hundred years prior and with war enemies living among them, Lavinia's situation wouldn't be seen nicely

Go Ophelia, hug your dirty angel some more! Just sayin'.

Armith-Greenleaf chapter 48 . 8/25/2010
WHOA Meirion's baby! I admit I had expected her to have run off after getting pregnant, and the possibility of her having a love affair with a Jenkins had crossed my mind (partially cos they're the most talked about boys in this part of the story), but Meirion! I hadn't seen that one coming lol.

Awesome. (Also good: No one will suspect Hans. Phews.)

Armith-Greenleaf chapter 47 . 8/25/2010
Ah hah! Time to finish this baby. :3

Aww, your description about him being an angel was truly beautiful and heart wrenching. Well, the situation is. It calls for many if only's.

Oh yeah, there's the added problem of Lavinia's disappearance. I've been distracted by Hans and Ophelia heh heh.

0123987 chapter 52 . 8/18/2010
AH IT'S OVER! I know I'm probably late, but ah! How wonderful! Excellent story, it had me all over the place. D I'll be looking forward to more SOON!
la bonne annee chapter 15 . 8/18/2010
This is so sad-but in a good way, a not cliched way. I am excited to see where this goes.
195 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »