Reviews for Like A Phoenix From Hell
steffxnie chapter 1 . 1/9/2010
Wow, this is so powerful. It hit me line after line. I really like your style of writing. Your choice of words make the entire piece very alive and the way it is presented is very refreshing. It is a most interesing read.

I love many of the expressions.

'to feel is to live, and to live is to suffer. So suffer well, he said.', 'Death could not save her now' and that sixth stanza. Great lines.

Amazing work. Don't stop writing.

x
Icyfire4w5 chapter 1 . 1/5/2010
I love the way you've divided this poem up. The breaks encourage me to pause and reflect. Um, the subject matter is macabre, yet the language is simply lyrical.
thewhimsicalbard chapter 1 . 1/3/2010
A lot of your writing has this same message, just like mine does. It's really interesting that I relate to this, because it is so unlike the romanticism that so dominates my writing. Yours is dominated by the feeling of emptiness, of suicide not as an escape, but as a foregone conclusion.

I don't know why your writing speaks TO ME so strongly. You write very well, obviously, but I can't tell what it is that draws me to it.

Let me put it this way. Don't give in to emptiness. That would be a very selfish thing to do. After all, MY world would be without a great writer, and that, miss drink me pretty, would be (a tragedy).

Thanks for the review, by the way.
a silenced revolution chapter 1 . 1/1/2010
really powerful. many great phrases and metaphors.

i like the use of bold, underline and italics - not overdone, but effective.

the story itself is not new, that of a depressed, heartbroken girl, but the way you wrote it made it totally fresh.

VI. is my favourite.

piercing, resonant work.
wo bu ai ni le chapter 1 . 12/27/2009
This is beautiful & tempting in itself, you manipulate language really well, and I like the way you subvert people's expectations - 'to feel is to live, and to live is to suffer', 'death could not save her now' etc. It's such a unique way of looking at life :)
May Elizabeth chapter 1 . 12/19/2009
This was powerful, gripping, and vivid.

"[fools.

she wasn't trying to kill herself;

didn't they know? she was already

dead -"

This stanza in particular rang a bell with me for my own reasons. Great work.
LeMaki chapter 1 . 12/7/2009
I really love the violent imagery in this poem. The pacing and interesting way you put things is fascinating.
lipleaf chapter 1 . 12/5/2009
I really like the way that you started the poem off by using "and". Usually, this doesn't work well in poetry (actually, it doesn't usually work for any kind of literature), but it feels natural right where it is. It makes it seem like I've missed something, and important part of the story, but you explain it all in the following stanzas. The way you separated it into distinct sections was also interesting. It was like a series of disjointed images that make sense only when they're put together. The imagery you used in this piece was lovely- "jagged, metallic kisses" and "blurry water-colors of the suffocating world around her" were especially nice.
yourKonstantine chapter 1 . 11/29/2009
jesus.

pass on some of your talent to me somehow. like lay hands on me or something.

because this is the most amazing thing...it's like performance art, if that makes sense. even when you don't understand everything, it's still strangely beautiful.

that's it. strangely beautiful. or beautifully strange. your choice.

kristen

(always yourKonstantine)
Little girl Big world chapter 1 . 11/29/2009
Ok wow. This is one of the most heart breakingly real, emotional, powerful things I have ever read. You talk about such strong and tragic feelings with such beautiful words. This tells such a sad story. I LOVE this piece. The formatting on "immortality" & "surreal" were just breath taking.

Favorite lines: "the one tearing at her

flesh with jagged, metallic kisses - that's the only love

she's ever known (other than the one that left her

broken, black, and blue)."

&

"innocent eyes wonder why that girl wore a necklace made of rope

the night that sh slipped away."

Amazingly written. Favorite.
Isca chapter 1 . 11/28/2009
"And we're all just corpses." You know, I find that few writers can actually pull of beginning a poem with 'and,' but you were successful. :)

"Vacant." Good word choice here.

"To feel is to live, and to live is to suffer. So suffer well, he said." Holy Hell! What a hard-hitting, magnificent line! Bravo.

"Why that girl wore a necklace made of rope." Hah. How brilliant. A girl getting ready for the gallows. That's a pretty vivid image.

"Didn't they know? She was already dead." Powerful. There are many ways to 'die' that don't involve physical death. We all experience 'little deaths,' I think.

Keep up the excellent work. :)
NoRoadsLeft chapter 1 . 11/28/2009
oh gods, raquel, it's so beautiful. just the way you write it, and the imagery and everything...so amazing. i wish i could write that way, i really do. it's easy to understand, yet it's written like you've written this sort of thing for fifty years. you know i can relate, and it makes it so much more powerful. you really need to tell me how you write this stuff, all of your secrets. amazing. i can't describe it in any other way.