Reviews for Aperture
Louis Denair chapter 1 . 12/11/2009
Captivating imagery. It's great that you keep the symbolism uniform- it's not a series of detached and discordant images bound up together in a pell-mell gallery of metaphysical weirdness. It's a definite story in a slightly off-wordlish but still- definite- literary reality with a tight and consistent structure of interlinked and chronological events portraying a double-layer message on the symbolic and realistic level alike. The struggle is curious, mostly you see men wanting to get to Heaven, here obviously it's the other way around. Makes you wonder, yes, what is it that's so great about this Earth? Maybe Heaven isn't all it's cracked up to be. Maybe Earth is a better place. Maybe it's time to look down from the blue, empty skies and lay eyes on the small hill of dirt that just might be converted into an earthly Garden of Eden. Passion is the world and I sympathize.
viennacantabile chapter 1 . 12/8/2009
There are some absolutely gorgeous images here: "carpet a brush with topaz," and just the whole of the last stanza. I think what I love most of all is how the rhythm and organization of these lines contribute to the plunging, rushing feeling of streaking headlong from heaven to earth and make the last bit that much more meaningful. Well done. :)
Isca chapter 1 . 12/7/2009
"I was led to a heaven." I love that the little word "a" has such a large impact on the meaning of this line - as if there are many versions of heaven, or that it's self-created, etc.

"I am shaken." Powerful.

The last two lines of the poem are particular powerful - the 'touch me' part is so vivid!
cab fed hig chapter 1 . 12/7/2009
"the dirt wails a finite 'touch me'".

Wow