Reviews for the moo
ladyofspring chapter 1 . 6/4/2011
This is the first time I've read any of your writing and I wish I'd come over here sooner. I love how atmospheric it is.I feel like I know Charlotte, like I can smell the bread and I wanted one of her Napoleon's so badly after they were mentioned (they're my favorite and I was one of those poor suckers not in the know until I read this).

I love that it was so Slice of Life as well. There was no big bank trying to foreclose (as of yet), just someone doing everything they can to live out their dream in an unwelcoming environment. I hope The Moo survives it and Charlotte doesn't have to compromise too much.
Meg chapter 1 . 12/13/2009
I don't have an account here, but I wanted to leave a proper review on the story, instead of just PMing you through FFN :)

Anyway, this story was excellent, all-round. I especially loved the bookending of the first and last paragraphs, the vignette-style telling of how Charlotte got her start, and how she was educated, leading up to the one-year anniversary of the shop. It got across all the necessary backstory and information about the characters without making the story overlong. That actually one thing I always love about your writing - how you divivde up the parts of the story. It's really a wonderful stylistic quality you have.

I loved the cultural clash of Charlotte the "artiste" (food is totally art) and the set-in-their ways environment of Chinatown and its denizens. Her frustration and longing was palpatable. Jacob was a wonderful addition to the cast as well, apractical voice to temper Charlotte's dreamy side.

Also loved the atmosphere and setting - I could picture the place PERFECTLY. And also, you made me hungry, lol.

In short, this was wonderful. And it was so nice to read some original fiction from you! You are truly super-talented and I love reading pretty much everything you write :D
MoistenedBint chapter 1 . 12/8/2009
*sniff* Aw, Vee, this was BEAUTIFUL! I loved it! I don't think I've ever really been to a Chinatown (unless you count passing through one and dodging women who didn't speak English but wanted me to buy things in NY), but you've really brought it to life here! BEAUTIFUL work, twinnie!