Reviews for The Soldier
Inspector Karamazov chapter 1 . 12/18/2009
This is a good story, and you're certianly a talented writer.

I will point out, though, as another person did, that soldiers could step out without being punished. (I've read a book on this time period that was a collection of real letters and documents of SS officers...the title escapes me)

You spelled college wrong, and the sentence: " He knew stealing wasn’t allowed."

Is a bit too obvious. Of course it isn't allowed, it's stealing!

This aside, it was well written. Good work!
Valerie-Claude chapter 1 . 12/10/2009
Hi!

So, this is not really a review of your story, just a small word. I do not want to denigrate what you wrote or anything, I just thought you could be interested about a point in the Nazi history that can fit in you story.

So, about the fact that some soldiers could have act out of fear for their life and their beloved, I think you should read "Ordinary Men: Batallion 101" by Christopher Browning (I am not sure if it is the right title). It shows the daily life of a group of Einsatzgruppen, and clearly show that Nazi soldiers could have step out and not kill all those people.

So it is just that. Great job with your story, by the way. It was excellent.

Valerie-Claude.
BlueLion chapter 1 . 12/10/2009
I don't know where you're from, nor do I intend to lessen your fic's worth.

I would like to set straight some historical circumstances that you're severely misinterpreting, though.

First of all, you make it sound, as if military service in Germany during WW II was a voluntary issue. It was not, we (I'm German myself) had a conscription system at that time, so every healthy German man had to serve in the military, lest he worked in a "kriegswichtig" (strategic) employment

Second, the conscription order would hardly be delivered personally, but by letter.

Third, conscription in the early phase of the war would only lead to the "Wehrmacht" (German army) - SS and Waffen-SS were a different organisation, that got their staff by voluntary enlistment. Starting at about 1943, the high casualty counts of Waffen-SS enforced conscription with them, too.

Even so, only a part of the Waffen-SS ended up as guard of concentration camps, the majority were serving as fighting units at the front.