Reviews for Equestrians and Selenophobia
Brenda Agaro chapter 1 . 3/1/2010
Great structure. I like the first stanza. The imagery was vivid, and the theme was well conveyed.
lookingwest chapter 1 . 1/10/2010
Love it because of many reasons, while reading it, I got this great image of for some reason, just a person riding in the twilight/maybe dawn, somewhere in England, just breathless. Love that you were able to pull me entirely in, even though I've got the TV on in the background and had music playing-I mean, you've basically taken me to a completely different place despite my subconscious distractions. Also, loved the use of the "downpour" and how you captured it by staggering it downward, it really works just wonderfully with this work because it carries my eyes and mind downward into that depth of what you're saying. Great.

from the review marathon (link in my profile)
lipleaf chapter 1 . 12/23/2009
There was just one thing I spotted, and I'm not really sure if it's intentional or a mistake- "a *think* yarny tongue". Shouldn't that be "thick?"

I think the last line was my favorite. "the gasping of a storm" creates an interesting image in my mind- it's like a storm represents the fury of the heavens and its gasping symbolizes heaven's anger waning. However, I didn't particularly like the overall imagery in this poem. The images created by those words weren't particularly strong or vivid, they were just... there. Like there wasn't any life in them.
suddenrolling chapter 1 . 12/23/2009
I find the beginning charming. I love personification of animals/inanimate objects in lit, and the image of a horse dreaming of other, more glorious horses delights me! I also like how you used your (extremely vast) vocabulary to your advantage here. Phrases like "yarny tongue", "moth-yawn trail" and "braided spine" really pull in the reader. You had the option to half-effort it and use the ordinary words, but you're above that ;D And you really use you imagery well in this poem. "Those horses to which I impale myself upon,

blind to moon fright"

really paints a picture of a selenophobe trying to block out the fear. Overall, well done!