Reviews for The Human Touch
Thescarredman chapter 1 . 10/14/2012
A thoughtful and carefully crafted piece. The 'diary' format was very well done, and the language appropriate to the setting. I'm guessing you did some research.

The characterization of Constance was multi-layered, insightful and completely believable. I also like that you left Sinclair's motivations a little murky, which made him a more real character and made the final twist at the end completely credible.
xRayne wolfx chapter 2 . 3/2/2010
That was a good one shot, it made me believed that you were the actual character. The entries for the diary were beautiful and filled with such emotion. I look forward to reading more of your works.
A Kiss in the Dreamhouse chapter 2 . 2/18/2010
After reading this, I can really appreciate the effort you put into this! Wow, that must have required a LOT of patience and hard work...I'd never be able to do that lol!
A Kiss in the Dreamhouse chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
I really enjoyed the diary format! Wow, your writing was top-notch!

I havent read a historical fic on fictionpress before so this was great :)
Mandisaurus-rex chapter 1 . 1/28/2010
Hey there! I'm trying to return reviews for my story Shimmer, and once I have time I PROMISE! To read Foster's Gambit! Promise!

But anyways, this little one-shot is so well written! Seriously, you have a mad talent with words! I don't even have a criticism to say... The plot was good, the voice for the character was excellent and fit the time period, it was kind of tragic, the name Aloysius is hilarious, the way you made a story into a diary entry was brillaint because at times you forgot that you were reading an entry into a diary, and yeah. This story also really reminds me of a book that I've read. It's called the Piano Man's Daughter. It's sort of the same, except not really... P. Yeah, that made no sense. Oh well! Keep up the brillaint work!
Narq chapter 1 . 1/20/2010
This is a really intruging format. I think it adds to the general atmosphere but doesn't take away the reader's attention from the text. The dates set the setting really well (haha) and The way you have chopped up sentences, with the days sometimes continuinng, other times jumping around, makes the story even more believeable.

Great job!
Tsumujikaze no Soujutsu chapter 1 . 1/20/2010
Well, my brain is bit bzt right now, so I can only review one-shots at the very most. Okay basically, I really like the format you wrote this story. To be honest I've never seens a story that is done from the diary format. All in all the feelings within this work was well conveyed and pretty much strong as well. I'm not too sure of the historical background of this piece though, so I will appreciate it a lot if you can fill me in here. Of course I can go wiki, but there's too much idiots there. :S Anyway, it's good to see the way the romance had gone not from an objective view but rather from the sole first person's view if you get what I mean. I would want to see more of the reflections of the past though, but that's my own personal perferance. :) And as for the final entry of the diary, is it done by Morrie? If that's the case, then I will say that this story did have a happy ending in a certain sense.

P.S: Pay back this review via A Ranger's Tale. :)

-From The Roadhouse. :)
xenolith chapter 2 . 1/19/2010
I'm slightly intimidated by you, so I don't quite know how to go about this review!

I thought the diary-style narrative was a great way to tell the story. Though, it did take a bit for me to get into. I was confused about the names, who they were in relation to her. But your author's note was very informative and explained, or at least cleared up a lot of the lingering doubts I had about this piece.

It's different, but good different.
Dreamers-Requiem chapter 1 . 1/14/2010
Nice piece; I liked the way you didn't over-explain anything, and it was mostly left up to the reader to piece it together. The way her feelings for him kind of gradually got deeper was really well done. The date format, I thought, was fine. Just one question - where is it set? I don't think it's important to the story, I just kind of want to know:P
CassandraRose526 chapter 1 . 1/11/2010
I think this is an amazing insight into Constance's life. I loved the short formatting of each of the entries and how her love for Al shone through, as well as the conflict she felt between her growing feelings for Morrie and her love for Al. I like that we never really know WHY Morrie was at the common house . . . just as Constance never knew. However, in the end, it seems as if he is going to do the right thing and carry on their names. Thanks for sharing!

Cassandra
BlueTwilite chapter 1 . 1/11/2010
Wow this is a very creative to set out your story...Nice job! This is a very well-written!

-BlueTwilite-
J.V.G. Buenagua chapter 1 . 1/10/2010
It was a great narration. I really loved how the character wrote those words. But maybe you could write the dates in this format so the readers like me could easily identify it. (Well, I really had tough time to decipher what it was.. really) the format: .Year.

That's all... overall, it was great.!
lookingwest chapter 1 . 1/8/2010
This narrative had some wonderful passages of voice and developed characters through not much action. The only thing that bothered me was the quickness of the journal entries, I felt they were really choppy just because of their shortness but that is really my only criticism.

I really like the concept of this piece, and I'm right now nearing the end of the novel Dracula in my spare time, and that whole novel is written in journal passages, so I felt right at home when this narrative started off (perhaps it's why I wasn't partial to the shortness of the entries too, since in Dracula they're pages long). I liked the way that you developed the voice of your narrator and how she is so proper, I find doing that difficult, and I think that you fit that voice perfectly to the time period and I found it believable.

from the review marathon at the review game (link in my profile)
sealednectar chapter 1 . 1/7/2010
Wonderful! So he wasn't a fraud? Rarely have I seen such writing that is true to the time the entries are based in, well done.:)
Silver Penny chapter 1 . 1/4/2010
I love the voice! I think you captured this character, and the time, perfectly. The passages just kind of…breathe. They seem like actual, real diary entries. Heck, I wish my diary were half so intimate and entertaining! :P

Little typo: "He and my Aloysius were in the Expeditionary Forces together during in the Great War." During, or in. Also, I think it flows better as: 'He and my Aloysius served together in the Expeditionary Forces during the Great War.'

I'm a bit confused as to the end. Was he or wasn't he a fraud?

Anyway, I love it!